Konstsmide Christmas Lighting

Nicktaylor

I have an odd issue. Over maybe four or five years I have built up a collection of the higher powered LED strings to put outside my house. A few years ago RED ones became available so I bought one set. Year one they were fine. Come the second year they did not work!(just the red ones) I bought a couple more sets last year and on checking them this year only one set works out of three. I suspect oxidation in the weather proof plug connectors but they are not that easy to clean. The manufacturer is not replying to an email. I particularly liked the light output and hope to use in a stage application when a suitable show turns up! Any ideas? By the way there appears to be three wire system culminating in just two at the plug end with a polarity marked

LED Christmas lights are very prone to accelerated corrosion due to the DC present across connectors and the LEDs themselves. Any "waterproof" inline rectifiers/controllers are also very prone to fast corrosion due to the thin tracks being eaten away electrolytically.

Commercial outdoor LED strings have little closed tubes that are filled with resin before the LEDs/resistors are pushed in so the water is sealed completely out. It's odd that the red have specifically been affected as they are usually a very reliable colour.

Archived