Help Please! LED addresses etc.

dogthesoundman

hi guys

just joined the forum; mainly out of frustration but also I've been meaning to for a while now, so this is a good a time as any!

anyhow.

At our venue we have 8 stairville led par 56 cans. they have worked very well and not one led has blown yet (famous last words).

we have been controlling them all originally with a behringer lc until that blew up; then we switched to a showtec item but its really meant for bulbs not led's so still not as much control.

I have now purchased a showtec led controller, as I was led (no pun) to believe I could have more control over my cans; in particular being able to select each can individually and assigning a colour, which we haven't been able to do up till now.

however, I'm a complete lemon when it comes to maths and the instructions left me more confused than when I started.

the led cans are stairville thomann items and have 8 dip switches. in the old format, I set every can to dip 1 on rest off and I could scroll through colours and had some random effect of changing individual light colours but it was almost impossible for me to program; coupled to that it started to go wrong last week so I took the plunge and got this new controller.

all I need to know is this.

I have 8 led par cans, all identical units with 8 dip switches. how do I set the dips so I can control each can individually (if at all) and how to program the controller to achieve this. ive kinda go the hang of scenes and DMX channels on the desk but im still confused by the cans.

I hope someone can help 'cos im pulling my hair out!

cheers guys

dog.

Can you be more specific about what your control desk is

Without knowing what the controller is, I would guess that it's the kind of thing that has a certain number of fixtures it can control, each with a set number of parameters (maybe 8 or 16), so fixture 1 will be DMX channels 1-16, 2 will be 17-32 etc. If this is the case then you need to set your first LED to DMX address 1, your second to 17, your third to 33 etc. To do this, the dip switches on the LEDs work in binary. If you don't know what this means then here's a quick explanation:

The first dipswitch will be equal to 1, the second equal to 2, the third equal to 4, the fourth equal to 8 (i.e. they double each time). So if you want to set address 1, the first dipswitch should be on, the rest off. If you want to set address three, the first two should be on. If you want to set address 9, the first and the fourth should be on. So you can either do a quick bit of maths, or you can google dipswitch calculator, and the first link gives you this. Type in the address you want to set you dip switches to, and it will show you.

If none of this makes any sense then your controller probably works a bit differently, so as I said before, more specifics would be useful.

Have you managed to get all the cans doing the same thing from the right faders? (As in Red fader controls red, Blue for blue, etc)

If so, I'd set the start addresses to 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, 41, 57, 65 (I think there's an error in the manual - it shows 57 as the last start address, but that would only be 7 units)

Not sure if the dips are marked 1/2/4/8/16/32 or 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 - if the first:

Unit 1 - Dip 1

Unit 2 - Dip 8 & 1

Unit 3 - Dip 16 & 1

Unit 4 - Dip 16 & 8 & 1

Unit 5 - Dip 32 & 1

Unit 6 - Dip 32 & 8 & 1

Unit 7 - Dip 32 & 16 & 8 & 1

Unit 8 - Dip 64 & 1

E2A - Beaten too it! Is it this controller - http://support.vikin...nstructions.pdf ?

I have some of the stairville par56 cans and they use 5 channels each

unit 1 = address 1 = dip 1 on

unit 2 = address 6 = dip 2 & 3 on

unit 3 = address 11 = dip 1,2 & 4 on

unit 4 = address 16 = dip 5 on

unit 6 = address 21 = dip 1, 3 & 5 on

unit 7 = address 26 = dip 2, 4 & 5 on

unit 8 = address 31 = dip1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 on

unit 9 = address 36 = dip 3 & 6 on

unit 10 = address 41 = dip 1, 4 & 6 on

the max address is 127 as you can only use the first 7 dip switches to address the can as dip 8 sets it for sound/speed when on and when off is for DMX

here is what each channel does on the Stairville LED par56 cans

1=MODE

0-64 RGB CONTROL

65-127 7 COLOUR FADE CH5 speed

128-191 7 COLOUR CHANGE CH5 speed

192-255 3 COLOUR CHANGE CH5 speed

2=RGB Red

3=RGB Green

4=RGB Blue

5=SPEED

0-10 NO FUNCTION

11-100 FAST TO SLOW SPEED

101-150 NO FUNCTION

151-255 SPEED CONTROL BY UNIT BY

MUSIC OR POTENTIOMETER

yes thats the one! cant be any more specific other than 'showtec led commander' as that's all there is on the box ** laughs out loud **! wow thanks for all this help, superb!

Have you managed to get all the cans doing the same thing from the right faders? (As in Red fader controls red, Blue for blue, etc)

If so, I'd set the start addresses to 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, 41, 57, 65 (I think there's an error in the manual - it shows 57 as the last start address, but that would only be 7 units)

Not sure if the dips are marked 1/2/4/8/16/32 or 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 - if the first:

Unit 1 - Dip 1

Unit 2 - Dip 8 & 1

Unit 3 - Dip 16 & 1

Unit 4 - Dip 16 & 8 & 1

Unit 5 - Dip 32 & 1

Unit 6 - Dip 32 & 8 & 1

Unit 8 - Dip 64 & 1

E2A - Beaten too it! Is it this controller - http://support.vikin...nstructions.pdf ?

ok guys I think were getting somewhere; DMX lights ive only got 8 units, does this make a difference to your instructions for dip switch settings?

danburns yes thats the right controller. I can make the lights do things with the controller straight out of the box but the 'red' fader doesn't do anything, green makes them all red, blue makes them all green ect. so I'm guessing I have to set up the desk to suit the lights.

soooo...

I've looked at the destructions for the led commander, and it tells me to go on you tube and watch a video in the first instance...but the image on there isn't great and you cant follow what's happening on the lcd screen.

here's the video

there isn't much more online, its all either in Dutch or German.

so if I can verify which one of you is giving me the right dip switch settings ill set those all up and then start on the desk, hopefully I should be able to suss it out; cant be any harder than programming a digital foh desk!

cheers for all the help thus far though guys I am really grateful!

mine are marked 1 to 8

Unit 1 - Dip 1

Unit 2 - Dip 8 & 1

Unit 3 - Dip 16 & 1

Unit 4 - Dip 16 & 8 & 1

Unit 5 - Dip 32 & 1

Unit 6 - Dip 32 & 8 & 1

Unit 8 - Dip 64 & 1

so if I can verify which one of you is giving me the right dip switch settings.....

Just to clarify the instructions above and help tie things up for you, the dip switches are for binary addressing. You add the values of each switch to get the total. Switch 1 is value 1, switch 2 is value 2, switch 3 is value 4, switch 4 is value 8, switch 5 is value 16, switch 6 is value 32, switch 7 is value 64. The 8th switch on these cans is for auto modes etc, so leave that off. Those values, added up in different combinations, will give you any DMX start address for you cans ....make sense?

Your cans take 5 DMX channels each, so as others have said you need them addressed with DMX values 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31, and 36 for individual control. You simply put the switches to 'on' to make up those DMX addresses.

yes I admit I'm getting actual channels and addresses mixed up. I'm number dyslexic (if there is such a thing) and whenever I try to get it clear in my head..it just goes to a blur. weirdly I can program a digital desk with ease but you may as well be talking French to me ha ha ! which is kind of why I came here in the first place to see if anyone could just give me the right settings for the cans and the controller and I can apply and forget. id love to be a lampy but I don't think I could manage!

Doesn't the LED commander assume that the cans use 8 channels unless told otherwise, though? And the mapping of the channels to the faders is fixed on factory reset to Red, Green, Blue, Colour, Strobe, Sound, Dimmer, Master. If your cans use different assignments then the desk will need repatching, or the cans will have to be addressed as 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, 41, 49, 57 and the faders re-assigned (scribble tape).

Or have I missed something in the patching of the LED commander?

no you are correct, youve not missed anything. the problem is ME knowing how to program the thing.

the faders are controlling the lights but in the wrong order..well actually the right order but one out, ie red doesnt do anything, but the green fader next to it makes red and so on. I have the manual but its not the clearest thing ive ever read! as I said before, I just need to nail down the settings for 8 stairville pars on the showtec led commander. I would really love to understand it better, and perhaps this will come as I set it all up, but meantime I just need to nail all the settings on the desk and the cans.

You want to have one led par for each of the 8 fixtures on the led commander.

As your led cans are only 5 channels, you will set them in increments of 8 channels to suit the desk. See Danburns addressing. Only 5 channels are used, the channels 6 to 8 are not used, so the first control channel of each fixture is on the first fader on the led commander.

You will need some white tape to relabel the led commander so the first fader becomes MODE - not Red, the second fader becomes Red - not Green, the third fader becomes Green - not Blue, the fourth fader becomes Blue - not Color,

the fifth fader becomes Speed - not Strobe.

The led commander has a display so you can accurately set the DMX value to get the desired function.

Have a play with recording scenes and chases. There are earlier posts covering controlling led's with led commanders and similar desks.

hi don thankyou so very much for that!

when you say danburns addressing, he left the settings for a can with dipswitches labelled 1-2-8-16 etc; I need the settings for 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8.

cant wait to get it all sorted - especially as the manager wants to know that I spent the kitty money wisely!!

its starting to make sense now, and it wont be a problem to relabel the desk as you say.

cheers

Jim

when you say danburns addressing, he left the settings for a can with dipswitches labelled 1-2-8-16 etc; I need the settings for 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8.

The post referred to has the following:

Unit 1 - Dip 1

Unit 2 - Dip 8 & 1

Unit 3 - Dip 16 & 1

Unit 4 - Dip 16 & 8 & 1

Unit 5 - Dip 32 & 1

Unit 6 - Dip 32 & 8 & 1

Unit 8 - Dip 64 & 1

The post referred to has the following:

Unit 1 - Dip 1

Unit 2 - Dip 8 & 1

Unit 3 - Dip 16 & 1

Unit 4 - Dip 16 & 8 & 1

Unit 5 - Dip 32 & 1

Unit 6 - Dip 32 & 8 & 1

Unit 8 - Dip 64 & 1

Or if you refer to them as DIPs 1 thru 7, it is

Unit 1 - Dip 1

Unit 2 - Dip 4 & 1