MIDI to DMX conversion via Mac.

DickyT

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to lighting and after a fair number of hours of searching the internet, I though I would do the thing I should have done first - ask someone that knows what they're doing.

So, I'm building a show and I would like to sequence some lights from my audio software (cubase probably). So, I need to convert MIDI signals into DMX to trigger scenes/chases out through a USB dongle (any suggestions on which dongle would be a massive help,) to a couple of dimmers and washes.Nothing particularly fancy.

Now, I would preferably like to do this through a MacBook. The other option is to to use my MacBook for the audio and send midi signals out to a PC to trigger the lighting, but it would be awesome if it was just the MacBook (new generation 8 gb ram, flash hard drive and 2.6 duel core CPU).

I know there is hardware to do this simply, such as the NJD mdc, and chamsys have their own thing - but there must be a software solution?Would I HAVE to run MTC to sync?

Any help/questions are welcome.Richard

Yeah, I find hardware to be a common theme. But it's odd - it's just a bunch of binary signals being converted to some different binary signals, SURELY this can be accomplished with a computer?

Any recommendations on Mac compatible USB to DMX dongles? Does the Titan one or chamsys magicdmx work with Macs? Do they HAVE to be controlled with the product software?

Thanks again,Richard

Yeah, I find hardware to be a common theme. But it's odd - it's just a bunch of binary signals being converted to some different binary signals, SURELY this can be accomplished with a computer?

That's like saying translating from English to Japanese is just converting some vocal sounds into some different vocal sounds.

What I would suggest is instead of thinking of it in terms of 'converting MIDI to DMX' you are 'triggering lighting cues by a MIDI message' (even if that 'cue' is a single channel changing its intensity)

Thanks for the replys.

I came across the enttec USB Pro. It seems like it would cater to my needs.I figure I could use Q light software to build up cues and loop an out to an in on my MIDI port to trigger the cues.

Does this sound plausible?

Rich

• 1 month later...

There is a software which can convert MIDI to Art-Net - but it is a Windows Software.

It's called Bernd Ott's Midi To Art-Net converter (bomac).

With that software you are not only able to trigger something. You can connect a Art-Net-Node and control you lights direct from your sequencer software.

Software is free but it converts only 20 Channel. Full version can convert 512.

I saw in a german board a 10% off voucher/code:

LampenTreff2014

(valid until 31.01.2014)

• 3 weeks later...

This device enables triggering of DMX memories via midi:

http://www.lanbox.com/page.php?18

If your new to lighting and you want to tour and your not bringing your own lights and want to sync the venue lights I suggest you hire someone to do this for you. It's to complicated. If you are brining your own lighting object and you can test your setup rigorously in the comfort of you studio you might get it working.

Archived