Line 6 SD series

tomo2607

Hi all,

Im after a little advice. We are looking to invest in some radio mics for our school. Usually we only have need for radio mics once or twice a year. This is usually a hire (or good will lending) but as the creative arts departments have expanded, our need for a wireless mic system have also.

Being a school, we have a limited budget, (as all do) so im looking into fairly low cost systems. Two that I have stumbled across are in the line 6 XD series. They work in the 2.4 GHz band so licence free, and range from £250 to £400 per unit depending on the set up. Im a little concerned about interference on this band, and the claims that the units can run in multiples of 12 simultaneously, can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, has anyone actually used the line 6 XD systems? specifically the XD-VD55 and the XD-VD75?

Finally, if it were your money (or your company) and a limited budget applied... would you opt for the cheaper systems, or push for something a little more expensive such as the sennheiser EW series?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Yep - quite a few topics on it here. I can summarise from my own use. They have very good RF performance, have built in loopthroughs on the receivers and do not suffer from interference FROM wi-fi networks. They do CAUSE interference to wi-fi. In fairness, the latest versions are more friendly to wi-fi networks, but when mine are all on, you do hear people moaning the wi-fi in the building is rubbish. I can imagine in a school the network/IT people might be a bit concerned, and they usually have too much power!

Practically there is a difference between Sennheiser and Line 6 - Line 6 is a musical instrument product, sold through the MI chain of dealers rather than the pro dealers, although the pros have recognised the benefits. Construction is plastic in the main. So expect lifespan to be lower because the kids will break the transmitters - hand held and pack types. Dropping, standing on and less than careful battery changing can break them. The design is not really bullet proof. With care, you can keep them going. Performance is very good though. There is some latency - but it is very low, and is actually rather handy as it does give a bit more gain before feedback, but be aware that when they do feedback, it's quite sudden - which really means the person on the desk needs to on the ball. Price for price, they're not much cheaper than a Sennheiser G3 system although aerial amps for Sennheiser will add a fair bit to the price, and are not needed on the Line 6. Sennheiser spares are much better organised. Line 6 are not really geared up for spares - I'm told they're much better now, but my own experience when they first came out wasn't good. Line 6 sent me parts from the US, free of charge to sort it because the UK didn't have any. I suspect this must be now sorted.

Have all your previous hires gone smoothly with no breakages and recharges? If they have, buy a system. If you've broken mics and had performance problems, carry on renting.

Thanks Paul,

Thats very helpful. if you dont mind me asking, do you have a rough idea of the wifi drop out range, and how many have you had in operation at any one time? The schools venue is fairly isolated from the main teaching and office spaces, so I can live with loss of wifi in and around the venue to an extent.

As for previous hires, we have been fortunate enough to have suffered 'none to very little' damage in the past. Usually due to the students having the fear of god put into them by the creative arts head. I also make a point of supervising the use, distribution, and collection of the units.

I have heard from others that the line 6 support is a little to be desired, but im hopefull that the savings made by not needing a licence for them would allow me some room for repairs / replacement if needed,

Thanks again

We have 12 x XD-75 systems, using the beltpacks. I find them to quite sturdy construction. Previously we had a Trantec 4.16 system and I rate the Line-6 much better. The beltpacks are FAR better than the older Trantec's, although they are really a step up from the Trantec, rather than a simple side-ways upgrade.

Otherwise I echo Paul's comments.

If wi-fi speed or access is not a priority you can likely run 12 channels of Line 6 XDV-75's together at the same time. If your environment is well controlled from a wi-fi standpoint you can probably run 8 channels of Line 6 together with a single wi-fi channel or 14 channels if you have no wi-fi in the venue. There are two different modes of operation for these two sets of conditions.

Don Boomer

Line 6, inc.

In terms of WIFI interference, I think one could first do a scan to search for a free fequency, like we do with the UHF models, in order to be safe and not disturb the WIFI. I don't know if it works the same way, I never used a Line 6, but they seem to have a channel scanning option.

Norbert

Thanks all for your input.

Just to clarify ... No, we don't have 5ghz access points. But it is a possibility for future upgrades. As has been hit upon, we can always try to avoid the wifi ch if it becomes an issues when using a lower selection of mics, but often, over 8 would be used. Schools, or at least ours, like to put on shows with a fairly large principle cast. It helps sell tickets when the extended family come to see there son/daughter/ 4th cousin in a production.

Thanks again for your input.

Not sure if people realise Don is Mr Line 6 - and it was Don who sorted out my small problem - and I still have two spare covers, which kind of puts it into perspective.

I still have an unopened 70 system which I bought just in case, but I've never needed to rob anything.

if you google line 6 blue room - you find tons of useful stuff - sadly putting line 6 into the broken forum search box fails, because it doesn't like the number 6 as a search term, and obviously 'six' is useless.

http://www.limelight.org.uk/LINE6.JPG

This picture shows what happens when people accidentally abuse them - this is the handheld. Somebody screwed the battery cover on too tightly, and when undone, instead of the battery tube unscrewing, the electronics and battery section unscrewed itself from the mic - there are some moulded lugs to prevent it rotating, but they gave before the battery cover! The DC cables snapped off and the ribbon cable got mangled. The ribbon cable is a push fit into the pcb connector, so luckily it just pulled out, and although fiddly, I fixed it. Although it was a good job I had a set of torx screwdrivers!

Archived