Best lubricant for stiff iris?

Mr Steve

Hello,

I have an iris module in an autoyoke / S4 which is stuck open. If you remove the module you can manually close the iris but it is very stiff. The diaphragm is also slightly concave. It seems that whilst it works for a short time, once it's set to full open it sticks and remains there. The fixture complains about not being able to calibrate the iris attribute too.

Seeing as the thing still opens and closes with encouragement, what's the best thing to help lubricate the diaphragm? I have read graphite powder is recommended. Is there anything better? I know not to use off the shelf sprays or oil etc.

I would remove the iris and try to discover the reason that the iris is concave. It is likely to be the return of one of the blades not running in its groove properly.

By all means treat the sticking with graphite powder, but getting to the root cause will be better.

We used a high temperature teflon lube that was designed for furnace doors.

It smokes for the first few moments of use then its fine.

We were offered it by a salesman when we bought a lot of other products, its from a local spanish brand but I bet its available under many names.

We use a graphite rod, handily encased in a luxurious wooden handle.

By which I mean: we colour it in with a pencil. Works a treat and is very, very cheap.

Well that proves you're never too old to learn something new. :rolleyes: That sounds a lot cleaner than trying to dust things with a dab of graphite powder.

Archived