Smokebox style enclosure to protect a projector

Stuart91

We've got a customer who is hoping to install a whiteboard style solution in a prototyping lab. They are sold on the idea of an ultrawide projector, but it's only just emerged that there is quite a bit of dust, swarf, and other contaminants in the air. It's hard to quantify how much is enough to cause a problem, but the suggestion was that we provide some sort of protective housing for the projector.

I remember the "smokebox" type enclosures that used to be popular in pubs and nightclubs, but it seems all the manufacturers have died off since the smoking ban took hold. At least, I'm struggling to find any even mentioned online that still have a live website.

Wondering if anyone knows of any sources that might still exist, or any reasonable alternatives?

As ever unicol might do something / have something in their archive that would fit the bill, or be able to make something. Of course there is the money that unicol costs. but its worth it.

A good suggestion! Unicol was my first thought, but I called them and they said they hadn't done anything like that. I suppose some sort of custom fabrication wouldn't be an impossibility for them, but he certainly didn't seem to be jumping at the opportunity.

I think we met the manufacturer of the tempest units at ISE in January. Pricing was significant - possibly more cost effective to replace the projector several times than buy the enclosure.

Some of the LED/Laser and DLP units are with sealed optics, and minimal fans, so less prone to dust contamination.

The tmb stuff is made in the states, is expensive and costs a fortune to deliver. weve used a few of them and as outdoor enclosures they are decent with heating, ventilation and rainprooffing. however they don't do what you need as they don't offer dust filtering, just weatherproofing. If you want that, you need to look at having a custom unit made by Audipak in Holland. They will make a unit that will do the dust filtering, but from experience will take weeks to get you a quote and it will be a couple of thousand for a basic unit. and there will be ongoing regular filter replacements.

I also speak from bitter experience that the led laser units aren't dustproof, only filter free, they still fill up with crud and break eventually.

my advice is buy cheap dlp unit, hoover the inlets and outlets every month and replace it if it breaks. Or simply do the sensible thing and fit a large touchscreen.

Thanks for all the replies.

They have a budget of hundreds, not thousands, so that probably rules out both the TMB and Audipak stuff.

Touchscreen might be a possibility, but they're looking for quite a large screen size which might make that a bit on the expensive side too. I'll knock the ball back into their court and see what they think.

Build a wall across the room and back project from the 'clean' side of the wall. Keep all the nasty dirt on the other side of the wall.

Edit: Just had a quick thought. The room could also be used to house any computer servers or other such sensitive equipment.

They have a budget of hundreds, not thousands

Touchscreen might be a possibility, but they're looking for quite a large screen size which might make that a bit on the expensive side too.

£2k buys you a 46" with 6 points of touch or did last year (buying one offs) - the technology is moving pretty fast there, so it may be less already.

Archived