Safety Alert from HSE for Inflatable Blower Fan

Brian

Having looked at the pictures and read the report I regard that as a complete non issue if the supply is properly earthed. If HSE are worried about a few drops of water on the back of an enclosed connector then they'd positively fill their pants if they saw how much water was in the Cee-form connectors en-route to that blower.

Worse still, they mention a rubber boot being fitted to some as if that's an improvement, when all it will do is hold water inside the connector and lead to greater issues.

I've seen the more attentive bouncy castle companies using covers like these over their blowers.

Worse still' date=' they mention a rubber boot being fitted to some as if that's an improvement, when all it will do is hold water inside the connector and lead to greater issues.[/quote']

I agree with Clive, with a rubber boot the next problem will be that the terminals rust and you have intermittent connections to worry about.

Whether the technicality is questionable the key and salient phrase is;

Known suppliers of this particular design of fan have ceased importing it and have made efforts to contact identifiable customers regarding this issue.

So the bottom line is; If you see one in use tell them to stop using it and contact whoever they bought it from.

Now that we have all been warned there is no excuse whatsoever for using them in any circumstance until they have been modified. What that modification might be I have no idea. Using one unmodified is the same as pleading guilty in advance should anything untoward occur.

E2A How many bouncy castles have proper earthing on their often ropey generators, Clive? That might be the bigger problem.

The issue in this inappropriate flagging of an imaginary design fault is that the connector is a standard panel mounting Cee Form with it's recessed connections on the back completely encased in a metal cabinet. Obviously the system should be grounded, and that is achieved by the presence of an earth wire going to the metal case. If they do not have a good earth connection back to the supply then that's a completely different kettle of fish and one that would raise more concerns over the risk of a faulty motor going live instead of an industry standard and inherently well shrouded connector.

Cee forms are not waterproof. They are designed to handle limited water ingress in a controlled manner by allowing it to drain away and using good separation and plastic "islands" to prevent tracking in waterlogged connectors.

I approve of safety action on genuinely defective designs, but I regard that blower unit as looking quite robustly made with good general electrical precautions taken for something that is effectively a piece of industrial entertainment equipment.

If someone were to do a pat test on a water-soaked blower like that, it could fail the test due to earth leakage. If it's designed to be used outdoors, it must surely have to conform to the usual standards of insulation resistance, leakage current, etc in the circumstances in which it will be most used and designed for.

If someone were to do a pat test on a water-soaked blower like that, it could fail the test due to earth leakage. If it's designed to be used outdoors, it must surely have to conform to the usual standards of insulation resistance, leakage current, etc in the circumstances in which it will be most used and designed for.

It would not suprise me if the instructions with the blower say "keep dry" as an a*se covering get out.

Most electrical equipment has such a warning.

And yes I would expect it to fail a PAT test whilst wet, but it would probably pass once dry.

Archived