cheapish mic pre

savage1

What I'm looking for is

1U

2 channels

Pre amp plus EQ

Phantom power

Cheapish lets say under £200 if we can. I've looked at the behringer Ultragain Mic2billion plus or whatever it's called and I was kind of hoping we'd be seeing a new version with midas desgned guts but sadly no such product has appeared yet.. So anybody have any suggestions (basically just want to be able to make better use of the stereo channels on my desk) it's got to be reasonably reliable as it's going to get gigged at least twice a week every week.

Any Suggestions?

At that budget you'll be better off buying a small tabletop mixer from A&H or similar, and then racking it if tabletop space is at a premium. The preamps in the Zed range are pretty good and the EQ is very similar to the GL desks.

Some of the A&H stuff even has direct outs for each channel.

I've had my zed for years and think it's a great desk but recently I've been getting slightly bigger acts and running out of channels (not every gig but often enough), I've had to run with two desks for a few gigs but I'd rather not and theres a nice little 1U space in my rack. I figured there'd be something just above behringer level or some recomendations for second hand stuff. I said £200 because above that it would make more sense for me to sell my current desk and just buy a second hand mixwiz or something.

Very tall order. Two channels in 1u is a killer. What you are looking for is a channel strip. a dual channel strip. Best I could do with a well crafted search was the Aurora Audio GTQ2mkIII, but it's almost an order of magnitude over your budget, you could almost buy an X32 instead.

Mr Elsbury's infernal triangle appears to have won the day.

Studiomaster C3 or C3X should possibly fit the bill, more info here: http://www.studiomas.../userg/c3xu.pdf

crikey they've crammed a lot in to 1U thats certainly a possibility and I wouldn't need the effects so it's really dirt cheap. The behringer option is only £70 so in reality I could buy 3 of them and have spares..

If your bringing them back into a stereo channel then you have basic EQ for the sum, so maybe you need just a pre and phantom, if so have a look for a secondhand focusrite Octopre or such.

The thing is idealy I wanted more controll over eq than just the hi and low that my stereo channels have but then again I could just prioritise my inputs.and as secondhand octopres definitely fall in to the cheap catagory I could make it work (I suppose I could also move my fx returns off of channels which would give me another 2 faders to work with.)

Archived