Midas / Behringer Compatibility

danny_zisys

Just wondered if anybody out there has tried mixing new Behringer and Midas kit. Namely the X32 and PRO2 desks, multicores and stageboxes ?

I am thinking of getting an X32 to use for lower budget gigs but it would be interesting to know if the X32 will work with my Midas PRO2s and their stageboxes.

Especially if the X32 could be used in a PRO2 setup as a solution to the AES50 recording problem maybe using the X32 with an AES50 connection to the Midas stagebox and using the Firewire port on the X32 to go to a Laptop for multitrack recording.

Has anyone tried this ?

Have you tried it though ? As far as I am aware the Midas stage boxes can run at 96kHz AND 48kHz.

So in theory the Midas stageboxes should be compatible with the X32?

http://www.blue-room...showtopic=57832

This should answer your questions. The X32 will not sit on a Midas AES50 network as the X32 will not run at 96k and Midas digitals only run at 96k

Josh

Have you tried it though ? As far as I am aware the Midas stage boxes can run at 96kHz AND 48kHz.

That is the case, see my post in the linked thread.

Josh

That is the case, see my post in the linked thread.

Josh

Yes, they do indeed work together. I have run a midas DL251 stagebox via AES50 from an X32. You have to set the DL251 to run at 48k, but that done they sync up correctly, you have full control of the head amps etc no problems or dramas - Does slightly improve audio quality, but not as much as it should.....

• 4 weeks later...

\

Yes, they do indeed work together. I have run a midas DL251 stagebox via AES50 from an X32. You have to set the DL251 to run at 48k, but that done they sync up correctly, you have full control of the head amps etc no problems or dramas - Does slightly improve audio quality, but not as much as it should.....

" But not as much as it should......."

It's Friday , its 11PM, I've been drinking red wine and ..... why oh why oh why do engineers go on and on about preamps like its the Holy Grail. Its the same level of BS and BX that surrounds external word clock. Rubbish.

The reason your DL251 sounds no better on your X32?..... you know... I don't care. Its all a race to the bottom. If you are going to buy a DL251 .... oh forget it.. this is wasted breath.

Right, more seriously. I think we notice console sound quality as the perceived tactile response of what we hear in relation to how we move (our fingers), if the console has the correct speed of response and the correct feel, then we hear this as sound quality. This effect is psychoacoustic and has nothing to do with "preamps". Stop going on about bloody preamps.

Secondly I think we hear 96K vs 48K. I think there is a difference between a brick wall filter that has to dump in one octave vs one that has 2 octaves in which to do it.

Thirdly different consoles have very differing degrees of mix bus and main bus headroom IMHO.

None of this has anything to do with "Preamps".

Rant over.

Just to add a further thought to the pre-amp moans from soundies...

Having just put an X32 and S16 in an install, physically a very well engineered desk, feels a lot more robust than our hire stock SI Compacts!!!!

House sound guy om the band wagon, moaning about quality of the pre-amps compared to the Soundcraft Folio he used to have, I had to point out to him it doesn't matter how good the pre-amp is if the guitar is out of tune and the vocalis can't hit a plain note, yes it must be the preamps fault it sounds rubbish...

Archived