Best general purpose vocal mic under £100? (not 58)

dickiefunk

Hi,

I'm looking to add some general purpose vocal mics to my collection for a wide range of vocalists and styles. I currently own 2x AKG D5's and have access to stacks of SM57's and 58's.

I' ve been very impressed with the D5 and prefer it on vocals to the 58 everytime! I've been impressed with the extra clarity, output and better feedback rejection.

I would like to add another vocal mic to my collection and have a budget of £100. After reading a lot of reviews I've narrowed my list to :-

Sennheiser E840

Audix OM3

Heil PR 20 UT

EV PL80a

Se Electronics H1?

Has anyone on here had experiences with more than one of these mics? How do they compare in regards to handling plosives, feedback rejection, output and mic bleed?

Thanks

If you can up your budget by 30 quid, I can unreservedly recommend the Audix OM5--probably my favourite dynamic live vocal mic. They blow most of the competition away.

Failing that, then another vote for the Sennheiser E845.

the E845 is on my hit list but I haven't picked one up yet. I have an OM2 - general impressions, more feedback headroom than a 58 (it's hypercardioid), a little 'thin' sounding and not as much headroom as the red5 RVD30 but usually plenty to work with. I use it for female vocals and for male vocals where I want to dump the bass end of their voice anyway. maybe it's the thin neck but it feels more delicate than average.

when I say a little thin sounding, I do mean a little.

I don't carry 58'S since I find them to troublesome, so I use an AKG D880 for lead male vocal, the OM2 for lead female vocal and red5's for backing vocals and everything you would use an sm57 for.

I do love the om5, had them on a few gigs recently and would probably use them over my beta 58s. The E845 is a great mic for the money, a few years back I used to use them for pretty much everything as the mic box was full of them. The rdv30 for it's price is brilliant but isn't everybodies cup of tea.

I find the E845 more versatile than the SM58, then E9xx series are even nicer but probably over the budget. Some of the cheaper stuff is actually really good, but it's hit and miss so audition before you buy, or know that you are taking a chance.

The 845 sounds good to me, although through choice a 58 still just tips it I think - but I did have a borrowed SE H1 a couple of years ago - I thought it was more expensive but see it's now just below the £100 mark. I remember it being pretty good with overloud monitors, and not sounding as bright as my Shure 86s - I thought it was a dynamic until I read the label!

Big fan of the E835 due to it's wider pattern for less experienced vocalists with poorer technique as it allows them to go further off axis before being lost,

but for more competent vocalists then the E845 is going to make the sound engineers job easier.

I've heard the Blue Encore 100 and 200 and preferred my the mics on my list from the various clips and shootouts I've listened to.

I noticed that Heil now sell the PR22 UT which is the same as the PR22 but without the extra coloured grills for £109 in the UK. I've listened to a few clips of these and they do sound extremely clear and detailed. There was one comparison of the PR22 and Beta 58 and the PR22 sounded way clearer! From my experience of the beta58, the high frequencies can sound a little brittle!? I'm slightly concerned that the PR22 may also sound brittle? Also, I've heard a few people say the PR22 is a little more prone to feedback than the usual supects live mics?

Can anyone comment on how the Heil PR22 compres to the AKG D5, Sennheiser E838/E840 and Audix OM6 regarding feedback rejection? Also how does it compare to these mics regarding popping, sibilance and output?

Been using a PR22 & PR20 for a while & love them. Was a real 'ear opener' when did a direct comparison to an SM58, so much more detail. Have recommended them to others, who have not been disappointed. Not noticed an increase of feedback. Heil does pride itself in off axis rejection. Plenty of US users who have swapped out Beta87's for them, especially as they make Shure compatible Radio capsules.

The Heil PR22UT looks like it's a great option. They cost £109 in the UK compared to £54 for the D5. The Sennheiser E838 costs £69.

In the various comparisons and clips of the PR22 I've heard it does sound way clearer than the 58. Thing is the 58 actually sounds a lot better since I upgraded my tops to Yamaha DXR15's. The D5 sounds even clearer and a little bright. My concern is that the PR22 may end up sounding a little thin, harsh or sibilant??

Also, for the price of the Heil I could pick up 2 D5's (or three secondhand)!!! Haven't seen a secondhand PR22!?

Archived