Learning about rigging online?

Discosucks

So I am interested in learning about rigging and rigging safety .

When I use the word Rigging I am talking about trussing , staging and flying any speakers or lighting fixtures .

Unfortunately where I live at the moment there is no course available and nothing in the lines of production companies to work with to learn .

So I was hoping to be able to find an online resource that could clear up a lot of the fundamentals of safety .

I somes do some work with a local guy who has a nice bit of trussing and lighting , I don't think he has ever done any training and I often feel things

could be done safer . I would like to be able to be safer .

Thanks .

Work with him if you can. Remember that some people in the industry will never have been 'trained' - as in going on a course, but will have been trained by doing it for real, observing others and building experience. Some people might argue this is the best type of training, but it's a very personal thing. You may discover he is actually safe, and what may appear to be odd, is actually ok, or he might be very, very dangerous. When you see things that don't feel right, ask and see what the response is. There are some good books you can get on Amazon about rigging in terms of practice, safety and legislation - but depending on what you want to do ( and how deep your pockets are) the big rigging companies do training. Be aware that sometimes to do the training, you must already be rigging - a sort of catch 22 situation, so always talk to them and explain what you can do/not do and see what they recommend.

On-line resources have a number of potential problems. The web site could be the product of a clever 14 year old who has gleaned all knowledge from the net, edited and represented it, so you can't be certain on the accuracy and validity. Books that have good reviews are a higher quality source of info. The content can be validated, and have more weight. On-line could be good - but as a novice you won't know.

Be nice to the local guy and get some experience.

You also may have more luck asking in the Rigging subforum rather than the Lighting one.

see:

http://I.imgur.com/DXuFTrZ.png

:)

Moderation: Now why didn't I spot that!! - Moved!

You could do worse than have a word with These guys.

If there is anyone anywhere near you doing courses they will probably know or even be involved. Otherwise it is well worth investing in a course at their HQ. The guy who does the course is almost as old as me but one of the best there is and a very experienced instructor.

Ooh look, there's one in a couple of weeks!

There's some good info to be found online, some indifferent, and a little bit of rubbish. Much as you'll find right here.

For the theoretical side of things, you might be better off investing in a book. The Chris Higgs book is the obvious choice, this Harry Donovan one is much more expensive, but really excellent comprehensive stuff.

You could do worse than have a word with These guys.

If there is anyone anywhere near you doing courses they will probably know or even be involved. Otherwise it is well worth investing in a course at their HQ. The guy who does the course is almost as old as me but one of the best there is and a very experienced instructor.

Ooh look, there's one in a couple of weeks!

And you wont do much better than Eric Porter as a trainer.

Archived