Uni or drama school

I'm 18 years old and I have the choice between mountview and Glamorgan uni both different course. But mountview is my preferred but it is more expensive. What I wanted to know would it matter to an employer where I went for my dergree and how much would matter to them?

Hi, Daniel,

Firstly, welcome to Blue Room! If you have a look through past discussions in the Training and Qualifications section, you will see that opinion is quite sharply divided as to whether going to college or university is worth it, given the cost and time involved, and what many would see as the lack of any real useful skills in the graduates(!). Depending upon where you apply for a job, an FE/HE qualification may be seen as anywthing from essential to a waste of time.

With regards to Mountview or Glamorgan (University of South Wales these days?) then I suspect that you are looking at two different degrees, one a BA, the other a BSc? Both are valid but each has a different approach and have different expectations. Employers who welcome a degree might favour either (especially if they are looking for a particular skillset or subject studied), or might simply take a degree level qualification (especially in theatre related subject) as showing a level of attainment and academic ability.

With regards to cost, you have the advantage of the Welsh Government helping you with funding, although there are other factors such as course length and cost of living to take into account.

With regards to study itself, you are the one who is doing the work, and spending three years in a second choice degree forever wishing that you'd gone elsewhere has to be balanced against the extra money borrowed.

Overall, if an employer wants a graduate level employee, they will look not just at the qualification but the person. Your drive, your transferable skills, your ability to handle pressure, get on with fellow crew, show initiative, work independently and as a team member will be considered alongside your degree. I won't say that what and where you've studied doesn't matter, but equally it is not the only consideration an employer would make.

Ultimately, if you want to go into further education, it needs to be somewhere you are happy and comfortable with, and you seem to have already decided which course that is?

Simon Lewis

Assuming that you are looking at the two courses that would seem obvious at those two institutions (as Simon says, a BSc and a BA) then it's really a question of whether you should take up Hang Gliding or SCUBA diving. The two courses are not even remotely similar, so comparing them is futile.

If you prefer the look of the Mountview course, then don't get hung up on cost or what future employers may or may not care about. You need to be able to stick the course style, ethos and content out for 3 important years.

Daniel, you need to give us more information about yourself.

What excites and enthuses you? What made you want to take these degrees? Where do you see yourself in ten and twenty years time? How will either of these courses help you achieve those aspirations? Have you visited both campuses? Have you spent a night in the areas to get a "feel" for where you will have to spend the next 10-15% of your life? Have you spent much time outside that lovely village environment?

I am one of those that believes more in vocational training than in academic for theatre as a speciality but would always encourage someone to study an engineering degree if they wanted Higher Education qualification. Something that could be used in the wider world as well as in theatre.

It might be worth doing some more research starting with the profiles of the last two respondees, Simon and Rob. Rob is based only about 15 miles from Filton and understands both academic and work-based training as well as anybody here.

• 3 weeks later...

honestly do you definitely want to go into further education? personally (just my opionion not starting a row) I believe your better off going straight into work with a production company/warehouse/local crews,

just an option

T

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daniel,

I don't know if you've made your choice yet, but if you would like to discuss what its like to be a student on the Lighting or Live Event course at Glamorgan (now South Wales), do send me a message and I'd be more than happy to discuss with you. I have a few friends who went to Mountview, and I can tell you the two courses are nearly incomparable.

Ta,

Adam

Hey Daniel

I have just finished Mountview and I had exactly the same problem two years ago that your now are going through. Any questions about the Mountview course please dont hesitate to get in touch with me on here.

Jon Wing

Archived