Cut gobos using a laser cutter

mundas

• 6 years later...

I would definitely suggest you not to use a laser cutter without having any previous experience. My father's in the business and I have been lucky enough to get every custom thing made by him. But I know it's difficult to find manufacturers willing to only cut out single pieces. One way to do it is to turn to Fractory. You can make pretty much anything and you can send in 1-piece orders. I know because my dad is one of the manufacturers for them laugh.gif. Just stay away from laser cutters, if you don't have anyone to guide you through the process. Besides knowing the machinery, you have to know the materials. In case of reflective stuff, the beam can bounce off it and this can be quite dangerous, depending on the laser's power.

Moderation: Whilst probably, technically, advertising I'm minded to leave this as it's the sort of service I can see being of genuine interest and use to many members.

It's also a UK based service bringing together multiple suppliers and it has real people behind it.

Admission: I work for a company that makes and supplies lasers.

The lasers used in schools are CO2 sources. Good for cutting organic material and plastic. They will not cut metal.

It is possible to cut metal on a Fibre laser but these are twice the price. Also it is not a cost effective thing to do as it takes many many passes.

Maybe you could cut something to use with acid etching?

A couple of years ago I was looking to get a simple custom gobo made and asked a local company with laser cutting abilities to quote. They could only go as thin as 0.1mm steel which is a little on the thick side for a gobo and quoted £79 which was a little more than I was hoping. They can cut up to 25mm mild steel which is quite impressive!

ADS laser cutting if you're interested.

Archived