Lighting Design Degree?

Hello All.

I am sure there are hundreds of similar threads/questions already on this board. Some of which I have already read, however I decided to start my own so the helpful advice I receive can be specific to me.

I am 22, after I left school with A-Levels in Theatre Studies, Art and English Lit I started working at my local theatre, and with set design in my mind as something I would like to do, I asked the technical manager to show me the ropes (excuse the pun) of all elements involved in backstage.

I discovered I was really interested in lighting; I then did an internship in America and a lot of free work.

Lo and behold, nearly 4 years later I have a Level 2 diploma in Electrical and electronic engineering, I was a full time venue tech at a small rural 300 seater for 2 years, then a small amount of freelance work including corporate. Now I am assistant electrician at a medium sized receiving house.

I have always been happy with the fact that I avoided doing a degree and learnt on the job, but now I think that I would really like to learn all the intimate details and specifics of lights and lighting design, something I think I may need further education for. I am not expecting to suddenly become a lighting designer. I want to tour as a re-lighter, be freelance and one day be a chief electrician, but I also want to be able to design shows, and be excellent at it.

Therefore I come to you all to say, is this worth it? I may not be old but I am a touch past Uni time. And where would offer the best degree for what I want to do? And generally what do people think?

Thanks for your help!

Entirely not worth it, in my opinion. I'm currently making a pretty decent go of this whole creative malarky with no theatre-related qualifications to my name whatsoever. My first credit came about from being slightly pushy and impressing, and everything that has came since is a result of my previous experience. Especially when it comes to design, it's all about who you know and what you've done, rather than what you know.

University also can't teach you creativity. It will arm you with the knowledge you need to implement your ideas, but if you don't have the artistic ability already then you're going to be a bit stuffed. Ken Coker started a thread a long time ago on here asking whether a degree in literature or philosophy would benefit a lighting designer more than something specifically related to lighting, which is a very interesting argument. If you're focused enough, you can gain the knowledge you need to be a lighting designer fairly easily without university. Do lots of reading, go see lots of productions, and constantly analyse the designs. Question why the designer has chosen to do what he has done and how effective it is. Ask yourself if you think it could be improved on, or what you might do different to achieve the same overall effect. Get involved with as many amateur productions as you can and gain some experience, and if you do a good job and get some decent credits/production photos out of it people might start looking to engage you professionally.

Thanks Mark_s

I think you're pretty much confirming what I already know, which is I guess why I have not gone to Uni yet.

I have the creativity, and dont expect to learn that kind of thing. I have just been toying with the idea because I want to learn more.

Your tips and ideas and right on it and I shall start/continue with these things.

I guess my main problem is so few opportunities to design because when you do this job, working all hours under the sun, you dont have much extra-curicular time to do it else where.

Thanks for the help

You're in a working state now - so losing three years of your life might give a you a few contacts if the uni are that type, but could indeed be a piece of paper, dropping you right back where you left. If you already 'do' lights, then design is a next step. Many venue lx people start this way, designing a few shows in house, then expanding out of the venue as their abilities are known and appreciated.

Education is now 'leaking' out of the standard places we are used to. Local dance schools and amateur groups are now starting to offer real qualifications, all approved, and all with UCAS points. Some do it as a franchise, and a few have met the requirements to become an approved education centre. So you can get a Level 2 BTEC in Dance or Musical Theatre in the local Miss Wendy type hall. Although this is Level 2 - once they've got approval, they could expand to any of the performance or production subjects. Before long maybe even the OU will move into our area - and that could be very good, because lighting design is very much a teach and experiment yourself subject, and would fit the OU system well. I'd rather give my money to the OU, and keep working rather than give up and be poor for a long time. (Sore subject as three big jobs cancelled recently, making my diary very thin ........... and a degree wouldnt solve that one!)

Not a clue whether an academic qualification would turn you from what you are to what you aspire to and rather doubt it worth the money, but ....due to circumstance I had to take a year out 9 years back to care for her indoors. I wasn't around for a year and lots of people thought I had snuffed it or retired and did not call me with work. I never got back to where I was. When you are working you get more work, when you aren't it is hard work getting work.

You can, and should, continue your education while working. You can do what friends have done and get a masters later on. You cannot have done two years as a venue tech without having done some "design" and you are gaining more vocational experience than any undergraduate course simply by working. You have shown drive and initiative in going Stateside and your CV is already more impressive than a degree.

Degree education is about a lot more than working qualification and is worth it for 99% of people capable of attendance. However, can you spend three years with a bunch of children? With your International experience will your tutors have that much to offer? Can you self-educate outside the system? Is the creativity there or do you hope to have it instilled? (If it ain't there it never will be.)

The last thing I would say is that if there has ever been a worse time than now to leave work and spend three years building up debt it has not been in my 64 summers on this planet. In three years time there may be one hell of a lot more competition in a drastically reduced workplace. From here on in things will get tougher.

WORK, get paid.

or study and get debt.

If you have the opportunity to become an approved electrician to 17th edition regs that would be good, it's often done as day release at colleges.

If you really feel the need for a degree -it may possible smooth progression into management later in your career, go and hunt out something that you like and do it by part time or distance learning.

Can you find a local college that does a "design" course that you could twist into lighting design

It's likely that your experience is already better than many college tutors.

Archived