Chauvet Obey 40 .... Theatre Cue stack

Zulu

Hi, all.

wonder if anyone can help. I have a traditional small theatre set up: Traditional fixtures, 4 x 6 Dimmers, and a 24 channel Zero88 desk.

I also have a Chauvet Obey 40 DMX controller, never used. Thinking of trying a bit of LED lighting, particularly for interesting lighting changes to the cyclorama. (In parallel to my usual stage lighting)

Question: Can I program my Chauvet Obey 40 in the "Theatre" style of a stack of scenes (cues), advanced on the press of a button, with an adjustable fade (transition) time between cues ?

Reading the manual it seems that fade times can only be set for transitions between steps within a chase, but not for transitions between scenes. Surely not !!

Any thoughts appreciated.

cheers, Zulu.

Question: Can I program my Chauvet Obey 40 in the "Theatre" style of a stack of scenes (cues), advanced on the press of a button, with an adjustable fade (transition) time between cues ?

Reading the manual it seems that fade times can only be set for transitions between steps within a chase, but not for transitions between scenes. Surely not !!

It's true, and don't call me Shirley.

All you can do is program a chase with the same fade time between each step, which will run through automatically. As far as I know there is no way to single step a chase on that controller. You need something a bit more advanced to do that. .

yes you sort of can, if you program your scenes on the 1-8 buttons above the sliders, then set the replay to manual., now set the crossfade slider to 2 seconds, as you press each scene button the DMX will fade from one to another. I am assuming this is the same as the DMX 1612 operator.

But the controller is fairly limited, but this you can do almost certainly.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Two different amswers . . . I fear Tim is correct. Trying your solution, Richard, no luck. Perhaps I need a slightly fancier controller.

New Question: Can anyone recommend a low end controller that can do what I need ? ie a Controller for LED fixtures (6 ish channels), with a "Theatre" style stack of scenes (cues), advanced on the press of a button, with an adjustable fade (transition) time between cues .

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Two different amswers . . . I fear Tim is correct. Trying your solution, Richard, no luck. Perhaps I need a slightly fancier controller.

New Question: Can anyone recommend a low end controller that can do what I need ? ie a Controller for LED fixtures (6 ish channels), with a "Theatre" style stack of scenes (cues), advanced on the press of a button, with an adjustable fade (transition) time between cues .

Well, you could try and pick-up a Fat Frog on E-bay as that's what we use our one for (36 dimmers + 5 LEDs). The snag, as I mentioned elsewhere, is they are still going for £600+ which is probably way outside your budget but an easy migration from another Zero 88 desk.

• 8 years later...

I've run into the exact same problem. Such a ridiculous design flaw in these controllers. When you come out of program mode you have 8 'scene' buttons for selecting your scenes and 8 faders directly beneath these buttons which could do this exact job, but instead they do nothing at all. Infuriating.