Behringer S16 & Yamaha M7...

Simon Lewis

From what I've been hearing, the preamps in the S16 are better than those in the M7...

As ADAT is just ADAT, I wouldn't expect a problem connecting compliant devices. Setting gains & other options via the menu on the S16 will be fiddly but if it's a set & forget scenario, it should do the business.

What about if the S16s had an X32 console attached? Can the X32 sync to the M7 and then that sync will pull the S16s up to the same?

I believe the answer is no.

Although I'm not an owner, I monitor the chat about the X32, so there is some "reading between the lines" here: A lone X32 is always the sync master, and if one plugs in S16(s), then my presumption is the X32 remains the master, and the S16(s) syncronise as the slaves. As far as I know, there is no way of getting the X32 to sync to anything. Which makes it interesting that a pair of X32s joined by AES50 work, and thus they must be in sync, so an X32 must be able to sync to an incoming AES50 stream as a slave.

Although ADAT carries sync with it, many folk are leery of using ADAT as a sync source, so one may be wary of clocking a big posh M7 off an ADAT signal.

But you could, in theory, I guess, have an X32 and a pair of S16s all happily clocked together, and then plug ADAT cables from the S16s to the M7, with the M7 clocking from ADAT, and it should all work.

But you could, in theory, I guess, have an X32 and a pair of S16s all happily clocked together, and then plug ADAT cables from the S16s to the M7, with the M7 clocking from ADAT, and it should all work.

That's pretty much the plan. Of course, it would be just as easy to use an existing 32 channel passive stagebox split, but the ADAT outs offered some interesting additional possibilities...

Now that Shez and d_korman have reminded me that S16s can be a stand-alone digital snake, then perhaps you don't need an X32; just a pair of S16s with an AES50 between them, one master, one slave, and thus they will both be in sync, and thus the ADAT outs will all be in sync too?

Archived