Name that light…

SceneMaster

Hi,

Well I just done a venue survey for a show which is coming up soon… and they had a nice stock of lights old but this is a school… anyway as usual when I go to a venue with really/moderately old lighting I don’t have a clue what it is called… I know the type of light but not the model or make without having to get up there and wipe the dust off… although I can always tell an old strand light :) …

So here is another round of name that light… probably fairly easy for the people here who have worked with old gear a lot but I only tend to work with only the new to middle aged gear…

Ok in this first photo I am interested in the two I have circled (probably strand by the looks of it)… the others look like minuets but I assure you they aren’t but don’t have a clue as there is no model or brand on them any ideas? But I am more interested to find out about the big beasts… I will look at the strand archive later to see if they are on there…

http://www.rucn.net/rimg0037.jpg

The second photo, anyone have any idea about these Fresnels? (I know the one at the front is a P123, obviously)

http://www.rucn.net/rimg0029.jpg

Thanks in advanced…

Hmm, the old ones have me stumped, but the new ones are by Selecon, the Acclaim range

Simply

Edit: I just brightened the second pic, and stand by my first post. The lantern looks like it is over 90 degrees, this means that the lamp may not last very long. This is because it is burning a base down lamp, base up!

Wait one! that ring near the hook clamp looks like a pole operated job, I'll go and look...

Thanks Light Console… for naming the Selecon Acclaims… I tend to use ETC, CCT or Strand lights so wouldn’t have a clue and certainly can’t instantly recognise Selecon lights just like that… (heard of them though :) ) The old ones are weird and oval shaped… I am guessing they are Strand as they are that sort of colour (grey although furze also used to do some like that) but they looked Strand like if you know what I mean :o . I’ll post another pic…

http://www.rucn.net/rimg0033.jpg

err, to answer Patt 253 question, it is not listed on the Strand Archive, as being a Followspot. They look very similar to Patt 293, which is a followspot. Assuming there is some form of handle, then it can be used as a followspot. It may not have colour changing facilities though.

Strand Archive Index

Patt 253

As to the Acclaims, I work with them often, and I really like them. It was the handles at the back that give them away so fast.

Still looking for this pole operated lantern, I know I have a link to it somewhere.....

Edit, never mind the latest pic makes it quite clear they are not pole operated...

I also have some of those oval shaped fresnels (and even PC). Those are oval due to the former lamp that was in at the beginning : a episcope (translated from french,, it's a big round bulb). I have few of them but I don't have any brand to stick to it, it's just called "the oldies" at the place I work. :)

Here's a couple of pics of Patt. 253's

http://www.eastanglianradio.com/p253.jpg

http://www.eastanglianradio.com/p253-col.jpg

Hope this helps - 100% not a followspot, a 2k profile, similar to the patt. 293 followspot - although it DID have an iris. No rear handle or front knob

Ok, the follow spot is not the main issue… I know it is a P.253 and I though it strange that it was being used as a follow spot but hey… their problem… I just won’t ask to use the house follow spot for the show I am designing… the others I just can’t work out what they are or if they are any good and I am not returning to the venue until the fit up… anyway thanks for your input so far guys…

I'm reasonably certain that I lit a show in a little playhouse in Delph (thats in the deep dark Pennines in the vicinty of Oldham) that had those circular fresnals. I seem to recall that they had a metal plate riveted to them with Major embossed on them.

Zat help anyone's recollection?

I've come across "Majors" once before. It was on my worst ever gig (everyone must have one!). I searched the web for ages trying to find when they stopped making them, to write on a show report. Didn't have much luck. Does anyone know more about them?

Paul

I've come across "Majors" once before. It was on my worst ever gig (everyone must have one!). I searched the web for ages trying to find when they stopped making them, to write on a show report. Didn't have much luck. Does anyone know more about them?

Paul

Shall I conclude from the above not to include them in my design (what was wrong with them TallPaul?)... as well as house lighting we are also hiring lights in but I just wondered if they were any good... well looks like the house lighting is a few Selecon Acclaims (around 12 fresnels and 2 profiles ) and loads of Patt23s (mmm my favourite light :** laughs out loud **:, well they not bad but compared to modern stuff… well you get the picture) anyway, I would still like to find out the identity of these strange lights… ;)

Paul

what was wrong with them TallPaul?

Well, I had the misfortune of touring a dance show into a venue which had a few of them spread about. They didn't seem that punchy, but I suspected at the time that they didn't have the correct lamps in them. Also, by the time I had walked the 30ft from the desk and climbed the zarges, the lamps were nigh on white hot. Could have fried bacon on them... I think it just underlined to me how much modern lantern design and materials improve our work. I wouldn't totally discount the Majors just based on this post though. There were dozens of other annoyances with the venue that helped pee me off.

Paul

Well, I had the misfortune of touring a dance show into a venue which had a few of them spread about.

Would that be the Robert Martin Theatre on the campus of Loughborough Uni, by any chance? Took a small-scale opera tour there a couple of years ago, and they had some extremely nasty fresnels in their stock which looked very much like the ones under discussion here. Or perhaps they were a little bit more 'circular' ... :** laughs out loud **:

Archived