Used Star Cloths

Nicktaylor

I find that star cloths tend to be used until they are dead. We were looking to beg, borrow, steal, hire and purchase as many as we could (to do all walls and the ceiling of a room that is 50x37x7.2m) - we found a few, but they were all in really poor condition. In the end we went to china and got them made. Was not that expensive (after we took into consideration the time and labour required to get second hand cloths up to scratch)

Got to second mac.calder. Used star cloths tend to be poor quality and not worth the effort only to be disappointed.

Last star cloth I used was actually an LEDJ one - like this: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PLISTAR07

Was skeptical at first as I had only ever used fiber optic ones before, but actually worked really well suspended above the audience as a night sky. DMX controllable, but the dimming curve leaves a little to be desired towards the bottom. All depends on what the desired look is.

Yup - I'd agree 100%.

That said, we use LED star cloths a LOT at our venue (we have literally dozens of dance schools in the area!), but hire in for every one - partly because whilst most will want the standard 7 x 5m cloth as a backing, other shows might want different sizes/make-ups., even multi-coloured.

The cloths we hire are all made by ShowLED and are a pretty robust set up.

I class starcloths as one of those easier to hire items. They need cleaning, fixing and the led ones keep getting better.

I hire ShowLED cloths, probably from the same supplier as Ynot, and find them very good and flexible and reasonably priced.

I class starcloths as one of those easier to hire items. They need cleaning, fixing and the led ones keep getting better.

I hire ShowLED cloths, probably from the same supplier as Ynot, and find them very good and flexible and reasonably priced.

The thing is I am in the hire business. Having said that I know the sort of money I could get back. So while I want moving lights I will never be buying new as my customers cant afford to pay the returns required. So back to starcloth. Will anyone really notice if it cost thousands or a few hundred?

Archived