Vari lite VL 2500

Lokimax24

Hello all, we are having some issues with the tilt on some of our VL2500's. Basically the fixture tilts all the way one direction..out of the blue for no apparent reason and has to be powered down for it to stop. It also makes a grinding sound..almost like the motor won't stop trying to tilt the head. The fixture homes just fine but after it finishes the homing cycle...bam..right back into crazy tilt mode. This has happened to more than one fixture too..3 or 4 separate ones...all in different positions and, I believe, on different data runs. We've replaced the logic board, the motor itself, the tilt motor sensor...and still wonky. Anyone else ever have this problem? Our lights stay fairly clean too..we don't use any pyro or any business like that. Just haze from two small "Unique" hazers, run at 10% output for about an hour and 15min show and two G300's with CO2 for low fog ran for about 5 mins total. Maybe we got a batch of bad motors or other hardware? Or maybe some bad data somewhere? Or maybe just a crazy strange coincidence? Haha we're stumped and beginning to get frustrated;-) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and if it matters, our lighting console is a Hog3. Thanks a lot!

My only suggestion at all is has the DMX line got corrupted at all. Just because it has alaways worked does not in my experience say that something in the DMX splitter or whatever has gone wrong. Can you run a lead all the way from the desk to the fixture to cut out the data chain?

A colleague has the same problem. The description sounds almost the same. The only difference as I recall was that both Pan and Tilt would suddenly go to zero and stay there, as opposed to just tilt. Otherwise the same obvious things have been replaced/swapped (control board, encoder sensor, motor and even wiring loom I think).

This issue remains.

All that's left is PSU (unlikely IMO) and something to do with DMX. I can't think of much that happens between the chassis connector and the control card but possibly worth investigating all related connections and wiring. And, as Nick says, eliminate DMX cable faults although I'm sure my colleague was able to recreate this on the bench.

Archived