revolving flats

andpuds

‘Lo

Are you talking about double sided flats?

Or are you interested in three sided revolving trucked flats?

If you want to build the three sided version I would suggest starting off with a secure base made out of 18 – 20mm ply wood. Use a piece of ply the same shape as the base as the top to secure the flats together as well.

Things to be careful of

- tall thin flats which may be prone to falling over.

- space, allow a gap around the flats when revolving them.

- if they are going to be used in one direction you could put fixed castors on the base to avoid snagging.

Hope this helps

:( ;) :D

The last time I saw this done, it was done (in a slightly rushed manner) by attaching two normal flats together, back to back, and pivoting them around a scaffolding bar run from the grid to the stage. Some (fixed) castors were put on the bit of 2x2 joining the bottoms (recessed) with some discreet barrell bolts to keep them in place during scenes. The "bearings" were artfully made of two bits of timber with a 48mm gap :D Just remember to use steel scaff tubes, and secure them properly.

With a bit of imagination, you could probably come up with a way to change the flat facing away from the audience during a scene.

Just remember to use steel scaff tubes

Any particular reason for steel? I can't think why aluminium wouldn't work, but then set construction is something I tend to avoid...

True, I should have explained what I meant; As we have a concrete stage the best way to secure the vertical was with an RSJ clamp on top, and an expanding foot thingie (the proper name escapes me) on the bottom, sunk into a square cut into the stage surface. This puts quite a lot of compression on the vertical, and a 20' Aluminium bar was observed to have a little more 'give' in it than ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen this done on a very small budget thing, with the capacity to change the back during scenes then "swing round". It was all on runners, so potentially complete flats could be slid in and out.

Runners were pivoted above and below the position, attached to a grid above and on the floor below; each flat had bolts to secure it in position once it was in. If you can sort it, it's a great effect, but the important thing is to PRACTICE changes with these - they aren't simple and need a bit of work at it.

Though, I suppose that goes without saying.

--N

Archived