Moon box construction/lighting

PJG

Hi

I will be building a moon box in the near future to get an effectsimilar to some of the ones in this thread.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=42454&st=0&p=352816&hl=+moon%20+box&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=352816

My question is what is the best way/type of light to useinside the box? I have googled it and found very little.

One option I have thought of is RGB LED tape but I am notsure it will be bright enough but the low heat output is a bonus.

I will make the box 100cmx100cm and then have the frontinterchangeable so it can be used for other things in the future.

Many thanks in advance for the ideas,

Philip

Do you have to use a moonbox and go flat?

We did an event recently where we had an actual spere painted in a light grey, then projected a glass gobo of the moon onto it using a source 4 and got the perfect sperical three dimensional image. It looked awesome!

The moon in our case was around 4m in diameter so we had to get the beam angle right but there's nothing to say you can't do it on a smaller scale with just a different type lens.

David.

Linolites - I had not thought of them. I would have thought I would need a few in there to give an even coverage and would that not cause heat problems?

I want to place it behind a gauze so that it is not visible all the time and I have no way of flying something out for the scenes it is not used in.

The gobo idea was discounted because the venue does not have any permanent lighting position that is in parallel with the position we would want the image of the moon.

Philip

Linolites - I had not thought of them. I would have thought I would need a few in there to give an even coverage and would that not cause heat problems?

You'd need quite a few to give an even illumination, yes - but they're cheap enough and heat shouldn't be a problem as long as you ventilate the box. Make it deep to get some air space in there (the deeper it is, the further the light sources are from the front and the less likely it is that you'll need some heavy diffusion on the box, too), drill some vent holes around the edge, if you're really concerned put a couple of small axial fans in the sides too.

If you are using a black backdrop, then just attaching a square of black gauze to the front of your lightbox (maybe on a 2 x 1 frame to hold it a little way away from the light surface) might be easier than a full gauze drop if you are pushed for space, and will hide the lightbox well enough when the lightbox is not illuminated.

If it's not too large, you probably won't need to worry about ventilation. The particular moonbox shown in my post on that other thread is only a couple of feet square and has 2 x 60W lightbulbs in it. The inside is painted white to maximise reflections, and it has a heavy white perspex front. There are no ventilation holes in it, and it's been used in several shows without problems. I haven't even had to change the lamps yet!

Linolites round the sides of the frame would work well if the interior was painted white or lined with reflector; then you wouldn't have the problem of seeing the units.

Archived