Chroma Q Scrollers

londonjim

Hello guys, I wondered if you could help me.

I am looking at buying two scrollers for an amdram theatre, and Chroma Qs seem to be the best ones, but I wondered if someone could tell me some things:

* I am using a two way PSU, will this control two scrollers independantly (stupid question, hence name, but I find it wise to ask anyway)

* Can you address the scrollers

* Will barn doors fit the Broadway ones? - and does anyone have a pic of them?

* Does anyone have a picture of the 'other side' of the PSU, the only pic I can see is the IEC side, does DMX go in to them fly leads or into the box?

* Do you have to link back the the PSU?

* How many scrollers can you daisy chain to the PSU (all doing the same thing)?

* How noisy are the 'usuals' compared to the Broadway ones?

Thanks

* I am using a two way PSU, will this control two scrollers independantly (stupid question, hence name, but I find it wise to ask anyway)

A two way PSU will power two single scroll scrollers such as the CQ1-d or Broadway, but only one 8-lite or cascade scroller. The capacity of the power supplies is measured in PU's and the PU of each scroller is in the brochure.

* Can you address the scrollers

Yes there is a DMX address on each scroller

* Will barn doors fit the Broadway ones? - and does anyone have a pic of them?

There is no provision fro Barndoors on a Broadway scroller, there is on some other models

* Does anyone have a picture of the 'other side' of the PSU, the only pic I can see is the IEC side, does DMX go in to them fly leads or into the box?

The two fly leads are one for DMX in (5 pin XLR) and the other for connection to the scrollers (4 pin XLR)

* Do you have to link back the the PSU?

It is recommended that the cable run is looped back, however the two way PSU is designed to be used so close to the scroller that there is no need to loop back, and therefore there is no provision for looping back on the 2 way PSU

* How many scrollers can you daisy chain to the PSU (all doing the same thing)?

The maximum number of scrollers is determined by their PU (see above), if they work together or separately is determined by their DMX addresses.

* How noisy are the 'usuals' compared to the Broadway ones?

With all scrollers most of the noise is from the gel rather than the scroller. There is some background noise from the fans, but how you organise the changes of colour is going to have far more effect on noise levels than the fans. For example if you choose to scroll quickly from frame 1 to frame 16 at a very quiet moment in a production they will seem very noisy, but if you carry out the same change slowly during a loud section of the performance or applause you will not hear them.

So, the address I set on the scrollers, not the PSU?

Yes.

Every scroller has a 10-way DIP switch, with which you set the address, and the maximum motor speed (high or low) - obviously the motor can run slower if the DMX values track slowly, but if you send 0% followed immediately by 100%, the value of this switch will determine how fast the motors run (and hence how noisy the transition is).

Tom

Just looked at the manual, and well, I wonder if I get a printer PSU (at 24VDC) and get some 4 & 5 pin XLRs, and make my own PSU.

I know the PS08s etc are not, but this seems a very easy system for a PS02.

What do you other guys think?

not recommended as you would need to know the maximum current delivery of the psu, and maximum current usage of the scrollers when they are scrolling at they're fastest plus you would also have to take in consideration is the line voltage drop over the distance - plus if anything went wrong with your system I should suspect that it would void your warranty for the scrollers aswell

Guest lightnix
Seconded for all the reasons in Matt's post - spend the money and get the proper PSU. Anyway, once you've factored in the cost of your time putting your own version together and testing it, you will find the price difference may not be that much after all.

just have the scrollers PSU at the end of the DMX XLR chain then... it doesnt matter where the scroller psu is on the DMX chain as the full 512 channels of DMX are transmitted all the way along it, no matter what you have inbetween.

even if you had units addresses going backwards from 512 (closest to the desk) and the 1 (furthest away from the desk) at any poinnt in the chain you'd still get the full 512.

ok, well cant you run a longer XLR back from the last DMX unit in the chain then... or is this far too impractical??

I dunno whether it is possible or not is to make a bodged splittler a male XLR plug with 2 females off of it (correct way???) to split the signal cable or would you need to have some sort of amplifiation circuit for this??

Matt.

Well (with all my scroller knowledge) thinking about it, the pinout for 4pin is:

1 = 0V

2 = Data -

3 = Data +

4 = 24VDC

Chassis = GND

So I think if I go from 4 pin XLRM - 5 pin XLRF, and wire it (4 pin being on the right):

1 = Chassis

2 = Data -

3 = Data + (of vice versa - I cannot remember pinouts)

4 = Not used

5 = Not used

I think this will work, but what scroller cable do I use, would it be 4 core plus shield?

I dunno whether it is possible or not is to make a bodged splittler a male XLR plug with 2 females off of it (correct way???) to split the signal cable or would you need to have some sort of amplifiation circuit for this??

Matt.

DMX is not able to be split passively... you need a powered, active splitter. Martin have them, so do most of the lighting retailers. AFAIK most are opto-isolated splitters, so if anything nasty happens one one leg, the other will keep going. I've seen them in minimums of four, though they may come in two's. So you'd have one leg for the scrollers, and another for the dimmers, and maybe one for the movers.

Well (with all my scroller knowledge) thinking about it, the pinout for 4pin is:

1 = 0V

2 = Data -

3 = Data +

4 = 24VDC

Chassis = GND

So I think if I go from 4 pin XLRM - 5 pin XLRF, and wire it (4 pin being on the right):

1 = Chassis

2 = Data -

3 = Data + (of vice versa - I cannot remember pinouts)

4 = Not used

5 = Not used

Yes, DMX is pin 3 hot (+) 2 cold (-) and 1 ground (screen/shield) . Not chassis, but pin 1. I understand that it is not 'acceptable' to wire anything to the chassis lug.

David

Archived