Scaffolding Towers

londonjim

Hi,

We have been using rectangle scaff towers a lot at the moment and I wondered if someone could tell me if there is a 'maximum height' or an advised maximum height to build them - and does there have to be a platform every 6 foot?

Also, do the same rules and regs apply to square scaff towers?

Maximum height would be advised by the manufacturer depending on make/model of the tower, I would try and contact the manufacturers ( if you know them ) for instruction / specification sheet for the tower you have, your answers should be enclosed in this, as I believe the answers will vary from scaff tower to tower...

*( unless you are specifically talking about constructing a tower from straight scaffold pipes and planks? )*

Hi,

If you are going to be using Scaffold towers I would suggest you go on a training course. The trade body for this kind of thing is PASMA (www.pasma.org.uk) and most large Access equipment companies provide approved training; Brandon Tool Hire, HSS and Aluminium Access Products definitely have qualified trainers. The course only takes a day and goes through all the rules, how to build a tower and how to inspect the parts for damage. The course costs about £120 +VAT per delegate.

We have been using rectangle scaff towers a lot at the moment and I wondered if someone could tell me if there is a 'maximum height' or an advised maximum height to build them - and does there have to be a platform every 6 foot?

The HSE guidance note CIS-10 says the maximum height you should build to is three times the minimum base dimension although it may be possible to extend that ratio to 3.5 times the minimum base dimension under some conditions (i.e. indoors, no wind, with a nice level floor etc.).

e.ga. for a Scaff. tower with a footprint of 2.4m x 1.2m you can build 3.6m high. I know that seems very low but remember you can use outriggers or stabilisers to increase the minium base dimension.

A rest platform must be provided at least every 4m.

Also, do the same rules and regs apply to square scaff towers?

Yes they do. The only square tower I've met failed most of them though.

HTH

Ed

[quote=egw,5 Jan 2005, 10:29 PM

The HSE guidance note CIS-10 says the maximum height you should build to is three times the minimum base dimension although it may be possible to extend that ratio to 3.5 times the minimum base dimension under some conditions (i.e. indoors, no wind, with a nice level floor etc.).

That refers to the maximum platform height before outriggers or kentledge is required.

As someone said RTFM.

If you don't have one, ask your employer to kindly provide one, and organise and provide training and get an inspection scheme in place while he's at it......All legal duties, btw.

Archived