Coda Alternatives

jexjexjex

Hi all.

Can someone suggest some alternatives to STRAND Coda3 or 4/500's, leaning towards the budget end of the market?

I've been asked by a local group about purchasing some floodbanks on their behalf and, naturally, they want the money to go as far as possible.

The lights wont be gigged as such, just bolted into place in their drama studio/venue, for cyc lighting.

Terralec seem to have VERY cheap floodbanks, but they don't seem to have asymetrical reflectors which, ideally, I'd be looking for.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ta.

Have you thought about going down the ex-demo or ex-hire route? At least then you know you're getting something that'll do the job - if you were going with the el-cheapo's, why not go all the way and get something from B&Q?

Not sure that there's that much competition in the 500w cyc flood market right now. The only other one that springs to mind is the CCT Minuette, which is not very nice (and, IIRC, more expensive than a Coda batten anyway!).

You could probably find some 'El Cheapo' ones if you look around the usual disco-merchants, but seeing as it sound like your clients are looking something that they can install and which will last for some time, does it really make sense to go for a budget solution that might not last the course? I notice that Thomann are doing Coda 500/4s for a shade under £360 each including VAT, to which you'd have to add delivery of £15 (but that's for the whole order, not per unit). That seems like a very reasonable price to me, for a quality unit which will give many years of service.

I'd suggest steering well clear of the B&Q (etc.) route. I've gone down that road a couple of times when there was simply no other option, and it's never really successful. You'll never get a nice cyc wash out of them because they don't have assymetrical reflectors, and they eat colour like it's going out of fashion. :unsure: Of course, if your client can really only afford £20 per 4-cell batten, then you don't really have an option!

The B&Q route is a good one we use them at out old school and my am-dram we the wash is very big but we fixed on some "barn doors" on the top and bottom from some metal. Colour frames were bull dog clips screwed on or just gaffered gell.

Just been having a look round the web at a couple of things and found the following:

10outof10.co.uk, inc vat

Coda 3/500 - £310

Coda 4/500 - £370

usedlighting.co.uk

Thomas 1kw 4cell - £120+vat ex-hire (Soca) - Is 1kw a channel too much?

Coemar/Teatro 1/500 - £35+vat ex-hire each - Perhaps you could buy 12 and do some sort of permanent wire up with TRS etc to make 3 makeshift 4cells?

Stage Electrics

We are always happy to offer any items that we currently have in our rental stock for sale Ex hire

Might be worth a try seeing if they'll sell you any Coda battens or similar at ex-rental prices.

How much this is off use I don't know, but I thought I'd post it all the same.

Cheers,

Stu

At our school we use some of those teatro cyc floods - 9 single cells wired into 3 circuits. The units aren't actually as bad as most of the rest of the teatro range. The threads in the unit for the screws that hold the reflectors in arent particularly sturdy though.

cheap skate method,get yerself a old  s battern,some places may even pay you to take em away  :stagecrew: if you want to get realy posh remove the relector and  those small 150w garden floods fit a treat

Actually, if anyone's interested in buying some old S64s I might be able to assist .... :unsure:

the teatros are great, but the one we used for this show broke the same day we put it up, it did look much better than the household flood we ended up using for the cyc silhouette, also we lost about 2-3 minuette floods, they can be quite fiddly to work with (col frames etc.)

mind you, those were hired, if you are installing them then they might be ok

ive used 4 household security lights before. just make sure you take the glass out or you end up with gels getting hot and catching fire!

No.

No, no.

No, no, no.

The glass isn't there for fun, it's the only protection the cast have got against hot glass falling from a shattered lamp!

If you want to gel a security flood, bow the gel away from the glass. Black-tak (from Le Mark) is great for short runs as it's designed to take the heat and doesn't degenerate into a gooey, sticky mess like gaffer tape. Long term solutions - either bolt Bulldog clips to the side of the flood, or engineer a standoff gel frame (effectively a top-hat).

The Teatro cyc floods are quite respectable - as another poster mentioned, they're significantly better than the rest of the Teatro stuff.

Finally, best check the Thomas units on usedlighting.co.uk are assy, as I've only ever seen symmetric ones from them before...

Tom

The Teatro cyc floods are quite respectable - as another poster mentioned, they're significantly better than the rest of the Teatro stuff.

Yeah they aren't too bad considering they are badged Teatro. A couple of niggles I have with them is they can sometimes not light up because the safety glass isn't pushed up against the 'dead-mans' switch enough. This switch needs to be fully depressed for the lamp to light up you see.

And secondly, they are quite hard to get into to fix and/or re-wire!

Finally, best check the Thomas units on usedlighting.co.uk are assy, as I've only ever seen symmetric ones from them before...

You can get assymetric versions, we currently have 16 of them.

Stu

A quick point...

Security floods are not meant to be used indoors; it says so on the instructions that no-one ever reads. They are totally sealed and run at a higher temperature than is allowed for indoor fittings, increasing the risk of fire.

The Teatro cyc floods are quite respectable -
And secondly, they are quite hard to get into to fix and/or re-wire!

Second that on fixing them - nearly made it to Pet Hates, when I had to fix one in a get-in, after someone drove a scaff tower past one so hard that they ripped the mains lead straight out of the back...

Archived