Martin Mac instruction Manuals

reaperman_01

Hey Guyz,

Does anyone know where I can get hold of an instruction manual for a MAC 600 as ours is a second hand fixture bought without a manual ( oh the wonders of college Lecturers).

Also does anyone else have problems with the bloody things working absolutly fine for a couple of minutes and then just switching home and not responding till theyve been reset??

Cheerz

Alex

Hey Guyz,

Does anyone know where I can get hold of an instruction manual for a MAC 600 as ours is a second hand fixture bought without a manual ( oh the wonders of college Lecturers).

Also does anyone else have problems with the bloody things working absolutly fine for a couple of minutes and then just switching home and not responding till theyve been reset??

Cheerz

Alex

MAC 600 Manual

After about 30 seconds looking on the Martin website. ;)

Can't be of any help with the other problem though.

yeah, we had that problem, we had 4 of theem that wouldnt respond correctly, it was partially down to a dodgy DMX connector and dodgy DMX resolution from our sunlite box - demux didnt like it either... we just ran the 600's as the first units in the chain, and ran the packs off a desk.

that probably didnt help - but at least you aint alone ;)

When it "switches home", what exactly happens? Does the fixture actually pan/tilt to its home position (zero/zero) or does it just stay put and stop responding? Does the lamp stay on or go off? Can you still move it manually via the MAN menu on the head? Are there any error messages flashing in the display? Does a soft reset bring it back to life, does it respond to a hard reset on the head itself, or do you have to physically power-cycle the fixture?

when it switches home, it gos to is zero/zero position and turns the bulb- because some bloody stupid lecturer decided to rig it so I cant actually see the display I cant tell you anything about error messages. It comes back to life after been turned off totally and then works as normal till next time.

We also have 2 250+ that dont carry on like this so im hoping that its a fault with either how its been programmed to our board (Fat Frog) or the unit itself.

cheers

is it only one unit that is messing you around - you could try changing the channel... could be a dodgy first channel - usually the channel that carries the lamp strike/turn off/shutter signal :S

had a problem with 2 500's not working with a fat frog in july, changed the channel on the units and it was fine

when it switches home, it gos to is zero/zero position and turns the bulb

Is there an "off" missing from the end of that sentence? "Turns the bulb" doesn't really mean a lot! ;)

because some bloody stupid lecturer decided to rig it so I cant actually see the display I cant tell you anything about error messages.

You really need to get up there and have a look at what's on the display when it freaks out. If there's a problem with the fixture itself, chances are there'll be an error message flashing on the LED.

It comes back to life after been turned off totally and then works as normal till next time.

But have you tried either sending a reset command from the desk or resetting it via the MAN menu instead of just turning it off (MAN -> RST -> Enter)? And have you tried to operate any of the functions via the MAN menu when it's not responding to the desk? When you power-cycle the fixture to reset it, is it always the same time interval until it throws another wobbly, or does the interval decrease as the fixture heats up?

Have you tried using another controller to operate the fixture to see if it still exhibits the same behaviour? Have you tried swapping out your control cables in case it's an intermittent cable fault? Have you tried taking the termination plug out of the end of the chain (or putting one in, if there isn't one there already)? Have you unplugged any equipment that's downstream of this fixture on the data stream to see if the problem goes away?

When you've carried out these basic first-line fault-finding procedures, let us know the results and we'll see if someone on the forum can offer any suggestions as to what might be going on and how to deal with it.

You Should check to see what mode your macs are set up in on the unit and also what mode they are set up in the fat frog. Also make sure that you are set up in dmx512 and not mart for operation with martin RS-485.

I find it best on the fat frog if you run it in mode 4.

A problem we have recently had with the fat frog when you are using a lot of DMX fixtures dimmers and other DMX units in a chain is that the DMX signal power needs to be boosted.

Barry

You Should check to see what mode your macs are set up in on the unit and also what mode they are set up in the fat frog. Also make sure that you are set up in dmx512 and not mart for operation with martin RS-485.

But surely if the protocol wasn't correct on the fixture then they wouldn't respond at all to a DMX512 signal, rather than responding for a while then freezing? Also, with a single unit the mode shouldn't make a huge amount of operational difference - as long as the start address is right according to the desk patch, the first 9 parameters will be fine whatever mode the fixture is in. It only starts to make a difference when you get up to the 'fine' pan/tilt channels and the speed channels.

A problem we have recently had with the fat frog when you are using a lot of DMX fixtures dimmers and other DMX units in a chain is that the DMX signal power needs to be boosted.

A DMX output which is USITT-compliant is capable of driving 32 devices. Anything up to that amount of units should cope just fine with being daisy-chained ; any more than this and you need to be using a distribution amplifier/buffer to split the data into two or more streams.

But surely if the protocol wasn't correct on the fixture then they wouldn't respond at all to a DMX512 signal, rather than responding for a while then freezing? Also, with a single unit the mode shouldn't make a huge amount of operational difference - as long as the start address is right according to the desk patch, the first 9 parameters will be fine whatever mode the fixture is in. It only starts to make a difference when you get up to the 'fine' pan/tilt channels and the speed channels.

Well DMX is based on RS 485, so It would depend on how martin were sending the signal, In theroy they could be similar I guess.

Well DMX is based on RS 485, so It would depend on how martin were sending the signal, In theroy they could be similar I guess.

Possibly - I've never tried it! But the point is, the OP said that the fixture works absolutely fine for the first couple of minutes before freezing up. If the protocol wasn't set correctly on the head, he wouldn't be getting that couple of minutes of normal operation out of it.

Yes But we had a zero88 rep up who informed me of this problem of needing an amplifier on the chain, so I was just passing on the addvice of another proffesional who manufactures part of the equpment in question! Also in the problem which we had also had mac 500 s & Giotto 400 Washs and Spots were working fine 1 min then had a mind of ther own the next. So I was there for just passing on my addvice!

If we are just going to bicker about infromation past on between each other, which is suppose to give help one another in the industry, other then lets stat another web site for this becouse the blue-room I thought was here to advice and help.

Yes But we had a zero88 rep up who informed me of this problem of needing an amplifier on the chain, so I was just passing on the addvice of another proffesional who manufactures part of the equpment in question! Also in the problem which we had also had mac 500 s & Giotto 400 Washs and Spots were working fine 1 min then had a mind of ther own the next. So I was there for just passing on my addvice!

If we are just going to bicker about infromation past on between each other, which is suppose to give help  one another in the industry, other then lets stat another web site for this becouse the blue-room I thought was here to advice and help.

This site is indeed here to advise and help (amongst other things), and I don't doubt that your contribution was appreciated. I was just clarifying one or two points arising from your post. All I did, following on from your suggestion about using a buffer, was to post a couple of bits of information about the number of DMX devices that you can safely daisy-chain from one output - enabling the OP to go and check whether he has more than 32 devices (actually, I think it might be 31, as I seem to recall reading somewhere that the transmitter counts as a device for these purposes ...) in his data stream.

You might have a point with your suggestion of the Fat Frog outputting some slightly non-standard DMX which the Mac doesn't like. I'm aware of at least one situation in the recent past when a piece of third-party equipment (a hazer, if memory serves) has had problems with the DMX output from a Fat Frog - something to do with the refresh rate, if I remember correctly. If the BR member concerned reads this, he might see fit to post the exact details. Having said that, I've run Macs on a Fat Frog numerous times and never had any data problems, so I'd think it's fairly unlikely that that is the cause in this case.

I still maintain that reaperman needs to carry out the checks that I outlined in an earlier post, and let us know what the results are - this will help in narrowing down the possibilities as to what might be causing the problem.

another suggestion to solving your problem .

what are you using for dx cable?

real data cable or run of the mill mic cables?

you can getaway with mic cables on short runs with few lamps.

but on anything over 30m form the desk and 6 + DMX devices I would always recommend real data cable , and it goes without saying always terminate the end of the chain.

ian

and isnt the martin pin layout different to the DMX layout, I think the hot and cold pins are swapped - correct me if I am wrong - then I apologise

Matt

ps - when doing a small production of barnum for a school, we had a jem ZR22dmx (I think) and it wouldnt work properly, so we had to run it off a remote, which was probably better tbh, but it wasn't me saying it that ur remembering it from.

Archived