A new website idea

mattevans

Hi Everyone

I am thinking of setting up a website, called The Lighting Resource at http://www.thelightingresource.co.uk

It is going to contain such things as useful macros, programming tips etc.

I was wondering if people think this is a good idea and if people would be willing to support it by submitting macros, programming tips etc.

It is by no means intended to replace or equal the wonderful Blue Room but to be a place for people to find out useful pieces of information in relation to Lighting.

I look forward to hearing to from you all soon

Matt

Good initiatives are always welcome, but the contributions from others could be disappointing. There are already a few good sites (eg blue-room) so yours should add some indispensable issues for us.

Also, as I'm one of the few from abroad visiting this site frequently, consider your target audience: dot-co-dot-uk is, ahem, a bit priggy (???)... (and&but most usefull when searching the sites of my lite-stuff!)

And maintenance of such a site is an essential daily routine.

Start with up to date links to all manufacturer, local suppliers, venues, international sites, DMX info sites, ...

Over here is an impeccable Zulu doing such things, and has high hit rates!

Luck,

(-> -> 'LiteSource' dot... org ?)

/v\ /-\ |0, _[

Hi Matt.

There was a thread on the Blue Room some time ago, started by someone else who was looking to start up their own "technical resources" type web site - some of the comments in that thread possibly apply equally to your question. The thread is here.

The main problem you'd have to overcome is that of duplication - there's already a wealth of resources out on the web that cover most of the stuff you could usefully cover - Piers Shepperd's links site, Ross Williams's moving lights resource, this site for discussion forums, etc. In order to make a new site attractive and enticing, you'd need to offer something that the others don't (or hugely improve on something that's already been done by someone else). Otherwise, it stands a fair chance of the whole thing going a bit 'riggit', if you see what I mean ...

Just a quick observation from me... I always prefer dot com addresses, because you can type the name and hit ctrl+enter in most browsers and it'll add the prefix and suffix to .com and look it up for you. I don't think theres a shortcut for any other TLDs. And yes, I realise I'm probably the only one who uses that feautre, but its still worth knowing!

And I agree - it might be worth setting up a 'console programming' website specifically - because I don't know of any other resources for it other than casual threads on forums like this. And it'd be pretty easy to categorise Macro's and programming shortcuts into categories (so you could click 'Strang 5x0' > 'Useful Macros' > 'Moving lights' for example). But don't try and cover too much ground because it'll be less specific, and will tread on the toes of other sites (as everyone else has already said).

I don't know if this is already done, but I had an idea about a month ago to create a site with complete packages for amdram groups on. The packages would include everything needed to put on the performance, except the script (just a link to Samual French or something). For example, lighting diagrams, lighting cues, gel colour suggestions, cue sheets, sound examples etc. etc. Again, I don't know if this is already done, but it might be quite nice to implement it into an actual site rather than just an idea.

Guest lightnix

It's a good idea in principal, but don't forget just how BIG the simple subject of "lighting" actually is. You may want to rethink the name, I'm afraid; there's already a "The Lighting Resource" website here It's basically a big links site, a format which works very well IMHO, because it takes you direct to sites run by people in the know i.e. manufacturers, etc.

Apart from getting people to contribute in the first place, how will you guarantee (or disclaim responsibility for) the accuracy of the information they give? I don't want to p :) ss on your bonfire, but as gareth said, there are already a number of very good resource sites out there and you could wind up spending a lot of time just duplicating other people's work. I'm not saying "don't do it", but I think you need to do more market research (as you have begun to do with this thread) and try to come up with a Unique Selling Point (USP) if you can - something that no other, similar sites offer.

Don't forget that setting up a site is the fun, creative, easy part. The work comes in maintaining it. Links go down, people change their server without telling you. The bigger the site the more maintainance it will need.

Some ideas have already popped up, what could/should Matt offer on his site? Is there anything he could do that nobody else does? Just one thing from me: whatever else you do with your site, NO FLASH PLEASE ;)

Click here for my own, modest links page with links to some other resource sites (scroll down to "Other Lighting & Entertainment Links").

Guest lightnix
I agree with the no flash, not everyone has Broadband.

GrrrMumbleBloodyBTmuttergrrrr

It's not lack of broadband that the problem, it's something in my security settings which won't always let me see it. Disabling Zone Alarm often does the trick, but I still find a number of Flash sites simply unviewable.

Apart from the fact that most flash sites look naff unless done properly, www.2advanced.com for example.

Properly? Please define... (or have I got the wrong end of the stick? Are you implying it is an example of naff?)

Although I do have broadband, as my laptop doesn't support 1024 x768 it looks sh1te. You have to scroll all over just to work out what it's trying to tell you. And the colours don't make for particularly easy reading...

BTW- No I can't update the driver, it's a NeoMagic, and they just don't think that they need to provide them to users, or OEMs for that matter!! :)

Also flash is less accessible to screen readers etc.  Many do not think of this issue when designing websites. Flash does tend to make sights that are unwieldy and hard to navigate. IMHO you are far better to stick to HTML or CASS.

Do you mean CSS? Assuming you do, you need HTML and CSS. :)

Oh, and its spelt 'sites'.

[/Pedant][/scrooge]

Archived