colors by numbers

delighted

Well… Firstly let me get this right you want to create colour pallets on your pearl (for generics) and you need to know the filter numbers? Not quite sure why for generics can’t you just save the pallets as light blue, deep pink ect…

Ok well the colour filter number depends on manufacture as well as they are different which one do you want it for? Rosco, Lee ect…

A good source of colour filter numbers is to get a swatch book from the manufacture most of the time free and a available from their website (well in Rosco’s case yes not sure about Lee never received mine from them when I asked for one I think you may have to pay :( )

Surely though you would only want to create colour pallets for the filters you actually have in stock or are going to have in up and coming shows and you would know the numbers for these as you would have ordered them? :(

(I apologise if I have got the wrong end of the stick in what you’re a trying to do.)

Hope this helps,

Try this. Although quite how it's going to help you create palettes on your Pearl, I can't imagine ...

Hey thanks a lot to both the guys that replayed to me . Well the point was that the two guys that helped me in the past in starting to work with my pearl, both came up with numbers in stead of color description like light blue or yellow, they used nr, and I thought that there was a industry standard for this. So I better continue using the simple colour description as sugested. It works the same!

Have fun and Merry Cristmas to you all!

Carlos

Portugal

Well the point was that the two guys that helped me in the past in starting to work with my pearl, both came up with numbers in stead of color description like light blue or yellow, they used nr, and I thought that there was a industry standard for this. So I better continue using the simple colour description as sugested. It works the same!

The system of numbers is not so much an "industry standard" as a system that the colour filter manufacturers use to identify their many different products. Just because a particular colour is given a number by one manufacturer doesn't mean to say that the same colour from another manufacturer will have the same number (or the same name). For example, the closest equivalent to Lee 106 (primary red) in the Rosco Supergel range is #26 (light red).

For every different manufacturer, there is a different set of numbers - and sometimes even within manufacturers the numbering systems vary (Rosco do Supergel, Roscolux, E-Colour, etc.).

Hope this information helps.

I believe that if you are faced with just a number without any indication of manufacturer, 2-digit numbers are most likely to be Rosco and 3 digit are most likely to be Lee.

If you are doing a palette, you could follow this convention.

I believe that if you are faced with just a number without any indication of manufacturer, 2-digit numbers are most likely to be Rosco and 3 digit are most likely to be Lee.

If you are doing a palette, you could follow this convention.

Yes… this is true but if you are programming pallets for a specific show it doesn’t matter what the filter number is as when oping it is far easier to have a pallet named “Blue†or “Red Back†or something rather than “L211 back†(the number is not a correct filter number just random number ;)) and trying to figure out what the hell filter “L211†number is when under the time pressures of live oping is really usfull I don’t think… but if you must include the filter number in the pallet name give it a decent meaningful name first then add the filter number in at the end…

Hope this helps,

but if you must include the filter number in the pallet name give it a decent meaningful name first then add the filter number in at the end…

Can't say I'm great at this either... but if you find that you use particular colours a lot then maybe you could memorise the numbers? For example my favourite blue is R83, ... oh never mind.... you possibly get the idea

David

;) tired ;)

Going back to the point Scenemaster made about colour numbers being more confusing, well I think when you have been in the job a long time you eventually end up knowing the numbers better than the colour names or types to be really honest.

I find it easier to mark up my desk when busking with colour numbers as a) it's easier to write in a small space and b) I know what colour it is!

Just personal preference anyway

Stu

Archived