Training for DMX?

Bit of thread necromancy, I'm afraid. Stumbled across this, didn't know it had been discussed (must have missed it the first time round).

I don't disagree with many of the thoughts here. Yes, one can pick up much of 'everything you need to know' in about half an hour with a pro in the room. Yes, one could learn stuff yourself from books and t'internet - provided that those methods suits you and you know what is the right information to search for and what to ignore.

Training 'in DMX' is one of the most common enquiries I get and, as suggested, what people actually mean by this is quite broad in this - ranging from understanding DMX packets, through to how to control DMX lighting via a desk or piece of software. To the uninitiated, DMX can often sound a lot bigger than it is when it comes to getting equipment to do what you want. The acronym gets bandied about and the beginner thinks that 'knowing DMX' is the answer, when in fact there are many other things that need to be put into place when it comes to getting DMX kit to do anything meaningful. Not least a bit of knowledge of the use of light in performance.

Nevertheless, it is something people want to know more about and can be picked up quickly. As some here may know, I've been running all kinds of training in lighting subjects for quite a while both 'live' and using blended and online techniques. As a popular subject, DMX and related stuff has fitted into that training and more recently I've been trialling an online-only version with learners from around the world. The DMX Lighting Systems course is not just a few pages of content and a quiz at the end, the course runs over a specific time period (usually four weeks, very part-time for the learner) and includes actual assignments and interaction with the tutor. I always advise the actual, practical need to implement the learning if not during then soon after the course - otherwise, the purpose of the learning itself is undermined and the knowledge drifts off again.

It's something people want to know more about and plenty of people prefer not to struggle on, relying on their own inexpert knowledge to carry them through. For the cost of a decent meal out, many find it pretty good value if it enables them to move forward with their hobby or career.

Cue a debate about declarative and functional knowledge and maybe some received wisdom in our field about what you can and can't teach online and over distance....

Suffice to say that I use online tools in all situations, both 'live' and distance-only - and everything in between so an happy to discuss their effectiveness in different situations in our field.

Cheers

:)

Archived