Jump to content

Which of these is a 'French' brace

Ann Baxter

Recommended Posts

We've been debating the correct use of the term 'French brace' - opinions differ about to whether this refers to the hinged brace attached to the back of a flat or to a separate expendable brace attached with a ring bolt.


How do other members use this term?


The former is correct.


A French Brace is attached to the flat by hinges; It's a leg that flaps out to support the flat.


I couldn't find a definition in the Wiki, but a :g: came up with

French Brace

A rigid triangular timber brace attached to a flat to hold the flat upright. If hinges are used it can be folded flat for storage or to be moved.

Found on http://www.encyclo.co.uk/visitor-contrib



French Brace

Triangular frame hinged to the back of a piece of standing scenery and folded flat for storage.

Found on http://www.queens-theatre.co.uk/technica

(E2A :g: results)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is one of those situations where it is difficult to persuade someone that they are mistaken in their understanding (some would say "wrong")


In my understanding a French brace is a triangular wooden arrangement hinged to the back of a flat. However I see from some of the references brought up by Google that the hinge is optional. Certainly the adjustable Lent or fixed length type of brace which is inserted into an eye screwed to the back of a flat is a "stage brace" rather than a "French brace"

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.