Several colours on one Controller?

Synth-Lord

Hey guys,

I'm buying 4 LED DMX controlled par 56's, and I already have access to a pretty hefty colour wash light to use on the front of a stage.

What I can't figure out is, if I wanted the Colour wash to be blue, but the 4 cans to be orange, would I need 2 different DMX controllers, or would I be able to use one?

So confused right now, please help! :)

Nope 1 controller is ok if you keep the channels apart.

I.e Dimmers 1 - 99 and Parcans 100 - 120 etc. Depending how many outputs you have on the desk. If you only have 1 output whether you can loop in somehow etc.

But in theory 1 desk is ok.

Nope 1 controller is ok if you keep the channels apart.

I.e Dimmers 1 - 99 and Parcans 100 - 120 etc. Depending how many outputs you have on the desk. If you only have 1 output whether you can loop in somehow etc.

But in theory 1 desk is ok.

Thanks, I'm gonna have to find a decent controller as well then... hmmm, spend spend spend...

I wouldnt worry about the number of outputs on your desk. If I was you I would daisy chain the lights. Providing your colour wash has DMX out then you can daisy chain it then to the DMX in of your LED Par can .etc

If your not sure how to do this have a look at the http://www.blue-room.org.uk/wiki/Lighting_FAQ and the blueroom wiki.

Jimmy

The lights I want to chain are an iSolution iColor 4, and 4 par56 Led DMX par cans. I've tried chaining them using the iColor controller but I'm having no joy. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced controller that will allow me to use these 5 lights, with the iColor on one colour, 2 Par56 on another and the other 2 par56 cans on a 3rd colour?

would the Chauvet Obey 70 be suitable? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chauvet-Obey-70-DMX-...=item483be1a401

or maybe this one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DMX-Controller-Pan-T...=item5195ac1825

I'm new to this and I'm finding it difficult... :rolleyes:

The lights I want to chain are an iSolution iColor 4, and 4 par56 Led DMX par cans. I've tried chaining them using the iColor controller but I'm having no joy. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced controller that will allow me to use these 5 lights, with the iColor on one colour, 2 Par56 on another and the other 2 par56 cans on a 3rd colour?

would the Chauvet Obey 70 be suitable? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chauvet-Obey-70-DMX-...=item483be1a401

I'm new to this and I'm finding it difficult... :rolleyes:

OK.

It sounds like you have a dedicated controller for your iColour fixture, which is likely to be a NON DMX control platform - ie sends bespoke signals to the fixture in a specific format. So trying to loop that signal out and into the LED Pars and getting them to work is very doubtful. What you need (assuming the iColour has a pukka DMX in/out) is a proper lighting control desk - preferably one that has a reasonable number of control channels available to you.

What desk to invest in depends highly on your budget and the total number of fixtures to be controlled - now or in the future. And as there are literally DOZENS of 'What desk' topics here, I won't start another one.

E2A - if your controller is like the CA 32 as here, it's advertised as just a 4-ch DMX controller - so it IS DMX, but only has VERY limited function, so will NOT cater for your LEDs.

2nd edit - Those Ebay desks will do the job, but may be a little OTT. However, for only just over a hundred quid, you're probably not going to get anything better cheaper...

I'm new to this and I'm finding it difficult... :D

OK.

It sounds like you have a dedicated controller for your iColour fixture, which is likely to be a NON DMX control platform - ie sends bespoke signals to the fixture in a specific format. So trying to loop that signal out and into the LED Pars and getting them to work is very doubtful. What you need (assuming the iColour has a pukka DMX in/out) is a proper lighting control desk - preferably one that has a reasonable number of control channels available to you.

What desk to invest in depends highly on your budget and the total number of fixtures to be controlled - now or in the future. And as there are literally DOZENS of 'What desk' topics here, I won't start another one.

E2A - if your controller is like the CA 32 as here, it's advertised as just a 4-ch DMX controller - so it IS DMX, but only has VERY limited function, so will NOT cater for your LEDs.

2nd edit - Those Ebay desks will do the job, but may be a little OTT. However, for only just over a hundred quid, you're probably not going to get anything better cheaper...

Ok, so maybe the Chauvet OBEY 40 would be a better option.

What I dont understand is, if the controller only has one XLR output how does it know to fade and change the colour of certain lights? Surely it wouldn't work just linking them in a chain one to another?

Or is that what the small switches on the back of each light is for?

if the controller only has one XLR output how does it know to fade and change the colour of certain lights? Surely it wouldn't work just linking them in a chain one to another?

indeed its what the switches are for,each light is given its own adress and just like a postman each packet of data is only delivered to that adress.

if the controller only has one XLR output how does it know to fade and change the colour of certain lights? Surely it wouldn't work just linking them in a chain one to another?

indeed its what the switches are for,each light is given its own adress and just like a postman each packet of data is only delivered to that adress.

What a way of thinking about it, legend.

Thanks for the help, I've ordered a controller now. I'll let you know if I have any luck when it arrives!

Archived