Chauvet Equipment

beggars_technical

I have just purchased 3 dimmer packs and a lighting desk/controller from soundmasterdirect - only to find the chauvet equipment doesn't seem to be compaitable with each other - more is explained below: Chauvet Dimmers are these with iec lantern connectors Chauvet Lighting Desk/Controller is this The problem is: That the Dimmer manual suggests that they cannot be controlled from a desk with sliders - what we have. That the Desk/Controller cannot be connected to the Dimmers or so the manual for the desk says Can any of you see that this is the case by reading the documentation or by looking at these items on the chauvet site Is there anyway that the desk and dimmers can be connected to allow channel fading or not - we have a show 2morrow and the items only arrived earlier today only to find out this as both the people at soundmastersdirect and the person from technical support at chauvet said that these should work together

Thanks in Advance for what you suggests

I would agree with them, they should/will work together, read the manual carefully and read the DMX primer section 3 times !!

Also, fill in your location in your profile and do not use text speak, you will get shot down if you do

Hth

Excerpts from the manual "Don't connect the device to a dimmer pack." when I first read this I thought it wasn't the equipment we had but someone helping me set the equipment up said they were so the desk couldn't control the dimmers. the other thing is I have setup the dimmers to have the address from 1+ and the other from 5+ so they are in 4 channel control but when the dimmers are on all the lanterns come on at 100% straight away and the desk at the moment will not allow control of the lanterns - tried changing the addresses on the desk but still nothing and dimmer manual also says: "All fixtures must be powered directly off a switched circuit and cannot be run off a rheostat (variable resistor) or dimmer circuit, even if the rheostat or dimmer channel is used solely for a 0% to 100% switch." both me and the other person disagreed over this I said it should work and he said it should not work what do you people say to that???

I'd read "Don't connect the device to a dimmer pack" to mean "Don't plug the mains lead into a dimmer - plug it straight into the wall", which would make sense.

As for the other issue - how are the dimmers and desk connected to each other? If you unplug the DMX cable, do all the lights stay on?

I'd read "Don't connect the device to a dimmer pack" to mean "Don't plug the mains lead into a dimmer - plug it straight into the wall", which would make sense.

As for the other issue - how are the dimmers and desk connected to each other? If you unplug the DMX cable, do all the lights stay on?

I would agree with the first point as that is what I read it as desk and dimmers connected by a 3 pin DMX cable and then the dimmers all daisychained together and if you unplug the cable all the lights stay on - cannot find an option to change the lantern level in the manual for the dimmers when in DMX mode

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

can anyone suggest anything or not

Page 7 of the dimmer manual looks to explain that it can be used as a dimmer or relay (switch) and how to change settings.

That is how we have setup the dimmers but the lights still seem to be on - will try again later today, another technician is coming to run the show tonight and hopefully he will be able to help me solve this problem - another pair of eyes and that . If any of you can think of anything else that would be helpful Thanks

Finally got everything working the polarity switch for the DMX was hidden behind a panel - not shown in the manual, that shows it on the back as a switch - so had to unscrew that and change the polarity - people from chauvet said that it should have worked straight away but were helpful and talked us through what to do - bit of a pain though

Thanks everyone for helping - no doubt I will have some more questions in the future

Archived