Lighting a building during the day.

madorangepanda

Hello,

I've been given the unenviable task of lighting up a large building during the day. I've lit it at night many times before and its a doddle. During the day I feel may be trickier competing with the sun.

What needs lighting is the columns and arch above. Ideally lighting will be placed along the edges that go out either side of the two statues you can see in the image. They are roughly 6m from the bottom of the columns and 2m down.

Lighting at night can normally be achieved with 6 palcos or 8 500w Halogen floods.

Easily accessible power is 4 x 32A and 2 x 16A. Can bring in 3 phase if needs must.

It is about 30m Wide, ~8m to top of columns ~14m to top of apex.

Would like ideas for both static and changing colour if viable.

I suspect it will cost too much to light during the day but I'll need to put together a rough quote to prove it too them anyway.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/UCL_Portico_Building.jpg

I like a good laugh!

Remembering that the film boys use multiple 5k or 10k HMIs to take away shadows will give you a cue as to how much power you'll need.

On a cloudy day daylight will be around 5,000 lux and on a sunny day around 35,000 lux. By way of comparison your living room is around 50 lux, twilight around 5 lux and a moonlit night around 1 lux.

To overcome sunlight with reasonably saturated colour you'll need around 5-10 times the amount of coloured light.

So, to overcome a moderate day at 15,000 lux you'll need say 100,000 lux of colour which over an area of (18x30) = 540 square metres will need 54,000,000 lumens. Which is around 1 Megawatt of discharge lamps.

Ok, so it's only a rough calculation but....

[EDIT]

My daylight figures are just that, daylight, not direct sun which can go to 100,000 lux or more. If you're trying to beat direct sun then look at 5 times that amount.

And my figures also don't allow for any losses in the filter medium.

[EDIT2]

A simpler way to look at it is...

Twilight is 5 lux, a cloudy day is 5,000 lux so to achieve in daylight what you can achieve at twilight will take at least 1,000 times the power.

Well...I'd reckon a 10k HMI will cost around £100/day to hire in the quantities you're looking at. So you'll need 400 of them making it £40k a day. Then there's the 1,000kVA generator set you'll need....

I've reposted my second edit here as you may have missed it...

[EDIT2]

A simpler way to look at it is...

Twilight is 5 lux, a cloudy day is 5,000 lux so to achieve in daylight what you can achieve at twilight will take at least 1,000 times the power.

You can do it at night with 4kW so you'll need 4MW in the day.

Haha, thought as much.

If anyone would like to provide a ball park figure for them to gasp at it would be much appreciated.

Anyone would have thought you didn't want the gig :** laughs out loud **:

Might be worth having a quick word with people like Panalux (Probably want the Film division rather than B&E) or ELP.. I suspect they're the only people with enough of the type of kit needed to do the job.

T

what about coming away from lighting and filling the gap between the columns with video screens or lighting matrix etc

or how about using the light source to provide the effect as apposed to the reflected light. ie banks of led units etc.

have a look at what is used on festival stages during the day.

Surely I'm not the only person wondering why they feel that the sun isn't bright enough for their needs?

"Would like ideas for both static and changing colour if viable."

Even if you did have wireless DMX control of the colour of the sun, you'd have to run about 17 minutes ahead of yourself :-p

Anyone would have thought you didn't want the gig :** laughs out loud **:

I already have it, was asked to get a quote for lighting it up during the day as well. I knew it wasn't feasible, just needed to show them how much it would set them back to do it.

what about coming away from lighting and filling the gap between the columns with video screens or lighting matrix etc

or how about using the light source to provide the effect as apposed to the reflected light. ie banks of led units etc.

have a look at what is used on festival stages during the day.

We will actually be doing something like this for an Opera in June.

Hmm...I get the feeling this may be a spoof...and if so very droll.

The picture is from google images and is of UCL...

Picture may be copyright btw...

But if the buildings authorities are serious then it seems to be a huge waste of cash and resources.

Mind you it looks nice at night tho'.

No spoof. Image is from wikipedia and is opensource.

At night it does look nice, unfortunately I can't find any nice photos at the moment and just have the one below to hand.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/750/83250918.jpg

Archived