Sub combinations to control dispertion!

mrcog

Hi all,

I'm currently doing some work for my physics coursework involving physics of speaker patterns and whatnot. I remember seeing a while back a website off a tech who was experimenting with different patterns off sub, with some pointing off axis and whatever, however, I cannot for the life of me remember where this website might be! Does anybody out there know at all? It would be really appreciated if you could tell me, OR if you've got any particular websites or book recommendations that relate to line array theory or comb filtering or anything that you might consider useful it would be HUGELY appreciated!

Cheers everyone,

James

I suspect that you're thinking of Dave Rat's blog. Roadies In The Midst.

There are some good papers written by JBL on sub arrays (amongst a few other big manufacturers), as well as hundreds of other useful reference points all over the net. Try having a search on here, as well as on the ProSoundWeb forums for "cardioid sub arrays" and the like. Plenty of info to be had.

Hi James,

I remember reading Dave Rat's blog about his new configurations and I copied a bit of text and kept it in a word document for possible future reference.

Here it is -

The Slotfire consists of 4 stacks of SB28 subs set up in pairs that face each other and are spaced by 1/3 wavelength. Adding delay to the outside pairs increases coverage to the sides of the venue.

The Vortex consists of 4 stacks of three SB28 subs configured in a square, and combined with time offsets, the result is increased LF coverage to the sides of of the coverage area while reducing the “power alley”.

Hopefully it might have some help :)

Ryan

Hi James,

Community Professional Loudspeakers have a nice program called S4 - Subwoofer Steering Simulation Software that can be downloaded from HERE.

It is intended to aid in the design of cardioid or steered subwoofer arrays allowing you to predict and control the direction of bass energy in free space.

This might not explain the theory, but will help apply it to real world scenarios.

Cheers,

Stuart

Archived