Speakon NL4 with Split?

UKTwister

Evening all.

I'm looking to bi-amp a speaker which has 1+/1- going to the lows and 2+/2- to the highs.

Is there anywhere I can buy a Speakon cable with two split speakons in the above config to plug into both amps? Knowing me I'd probably destroy the cable if I tried to take apart an NL4 and do it myself.

Thanks.

1. Buy a 4 core speakon cable to go from the amp rack to speaker.

2. On your amp rack, get a 1u pre-punched rack panel with and install a couple of speakon sockets in it.

3. Wire 1+- to the bass amp, and 2+- to the top amp using short lengths of flexible cable (offcuts of speaker cable or bits of stout mains flex are fine).

4. Job done.

Speakons are one of the easist types of connectors to terminate. Well worth acquiring the skill if you've never done it. A new, small No 1 Pozidriv screwdriver is a must.

Pete.

2. On your amp rack, get a 1u pre-punched rack panel with and install a couple of speakon sockets in it.

3. Wire 1+- to the bass amp, and 2+- to the top amp using short lengths of flexible cable (offcuts of speaker cable or bits of stout mains flex are fine).

4. Job done.

Speakons are one of the easist types of connectors to terminate. Well worth acquiring the skill if you've never done it. A new, small No 1 Pozidriv screwdriver is a must.

Pete.

Sorry for being newbish but how do you wire the speaker cable to the amps? They only have speakon outputs and not terminals

you put speakons on them! - then the other end get soldered to the single socket on the panel.

Depending on the design of the speakons you are using, they are easy and easier! Decent size openings for the cable to fit into. The only snag is that the labels are quite difficult to see - especially if the light isn't great. Some older ones require a small allen key, but more modern ones are just a screw to do up. No worse than putting a mains plug on.

A couple of my amplifiers have both channels available on one of the output speakons. This means that I can use a four core speaker cable much in the same way as what you want to do. The amplifiers I have which have this feature are the Yamaha P2500s and the Behringer PMH5000.

Check the labels near the speakons on your amp, it may be connected in the same way.

David

• 1 month later...

4. Job done.

Pete.

Thanks for the advice, I have since got my Nl4 leads, Behringer Ultradrive and a Punched Rack Panel with 2 NL4 outs for my mid/tops and 2NL2 outs for my Bins.

Just one more quick question for everyone. Does it matter what speaker cable I use? Will this do the job? -

http://www.audiospares.com/product.php?pro...t=39&page=1

Is the speaker cable I use for Hi-Fi good enough? (for that short a run?)

Cheers!

Is the speaker cable I use for Hi-Fi good enough? (for that short a run?)

Cheers!

If you mean for inside the amp rack then the one linked to should be fine. It dosnt look like it would stand up to regular handling but that shouldn't be a problem in a rack. Looks like you could rip it into individual cores if needed fairly easily too

2NL2 outs for my Bins.

Not an issue, and it's a bit late now, however you would have been better off fitting NL4 sockets, even if you only use 1 pair. This is because both NL2 and NL4 plugs will connect with an NL4 socket, but only NL2 plugs will connect with an NL2 socket.

2NL2 outs for my Bins.

Not an issue, and it's a bit late now, however you would have been better off fitting NL4 sockets, even if you only use 1 pair. This is because both NL2 and NL4 plugs will connect with an NL4 socket, but only NL2 plugs will connect with an NL2 socket.

Ah I suppose. But I don't think I'll be bi-amping my subs anytime soon :D

Thanks for help guys.

Accepted general practice in the industry is the use of NL4 connectors through out, and then NL4 cable with two pairs wired. This then means that if your hunting through a cable trunk, any piece of NL4 should do the job. It also means that should you need to hire additional Amps or speakers they're more likely to be interconnectable. NL2's aren't seen that often 'in the wild'.

As mentioned above I'd suggest using NL4's and only a single pair cable in your instance, even if you don't plan to Bi Amp them.

I agree with Pete there about NL2's, and would also throw into the mix a termination opinion... I really really don't like to trust the flimsy screw terminals in an nl4 to hold a wire in place, I'd recommend for you own peace of mind, strip out that grub screw and bendy bit of rubbish metal and solder the wire straight in. The number of times I've traced an intermittent or failed speaker lead to a loose terminal is to many to be inconsequential!

D'oh failure!

I had sound going to my drivers but not the tops. I had input into both amps but nothing coming out the horn section. Have I done something wrong?

I had it wired

Mids: 1+/1- on amp to 1+/1- on patch panel

Tops 1+/1- on amp to 2+/2- on patch panel

Any help much appreciated!

Archived