A & H GL desk modification

Ynot

Sitting here pondering something...

The A & H GL series is fairly modular in design - is it feasible to swap out a couple of the mono channels and replace them with stereo modules? (We have a GL3300 32 ch)

Just idle curiosity at present...

Sitting here pondering something...

The A & H GL series is fairly modular in design - is it feasible to swap out a couple of the mono channels and replace them with stereo modules? (We have a GL3300 32 ch)

Just idle curiosity at present...

Someone may come along with a definitive answer, but for now I'd suggest, if you have the time, to take a mono module and a stereo module (pref ones next to each other) and have a look at both the modules and also where they interface with the main bus?

Although the circuit boards on the Allen & Heath GL range of mixers are individual and removable - the front panel is fixed and so is the rear connector panel - therefore as the mono and stereo boards have different knobs, buttons and connectors - they cannot be interchanged.

Although the circuit boards on the Allen & Heath GL range of mixers are individual and removable - the front panel is fixed and so is the rear connector panel - therefore as the mono and stereo boards have different knobs, buttons and connectors - they cannot be interchanged.

Thanks. :)

Like I said, was just an idle 'what if' sort of pondering on my part.

Like I said, was just an idle 'what if' sort of pondering on my part.

If I were idly pondering, I suspect my thoughts would drift to a Mix Wiz 20S connected via Syslink.... and the extra 4 mic channels and 8 dual stereo channel inputs it'd give me.... :-)

Hmmm...

Tell me more about Syslink...

(Bearing in mind noise isn't my normal forte...)

Tell me more about Syslink...

Small circuit board that fits in each mixer. You put a DB25 connector on teh back panel (cut out is already there) and join the two desks with a db25 - db25 cable. This commons the auxilaries, groups pfl and mix busses and makes one desk simply an extension of the other. The end result for you would be 36 mic inputs plus 8 dual stereo inputs (plus whatever extra I/ps are available on the 3300), with all the sends working under the master controls of the main desk.

The syslink cards will cost a few hundred, and needs someone who knows how to solder and read a wiring diagram, but it's cheaper than buying a 48 channel desk!

Simon

Archived