Behringer DCX2496 settings.

marlon88

Hello.

I have been doing some reading on this forum and looks like there is some people that has very good knowledge when it comes to this sort of stuff.

I live in Malta (Europe) and I own a small club near the beach.

Let me first tell you what my equipment consists of:

Pioneer DJM800 mixer

2x Pioneer CDJ1000 MK3

Behringer DCX2496

3x Cloud CV1000 amplifiers 500rms per channel

4x JBL EON 15 speakers, 250 rms (Frequency Range 55 - 16 kHz)

4x JBL SF15 speakers, 250rms (Frequency Range (-10 dB):2 38 Hz - 16 kHz)

1x JBL SR series II dual 18 sub woofer, 1200rms (Frequency Range 25Hz - 1.2kHz) Recommended Crossover freq: 80Hz 100Hz

I have been using the Behringer DCX2496 to control my sound system, so far I like it very much! I need your help with setting up the thing because I don`t have good knowledge and the instructions that came with it didn`t offer any good help either.

My biggest problem is that all the Djs that come and use the equipment, all of them turn the output level on the mixer too loud and the amplifiers goes clipping, and when this happens the sound will start to distort and starts to sound very bad. I am risking that someone will damage something.

So far I have managed to set it up so the speakers have full range output and the sub woofer have low frequency output tuned to sound best with my ear. Output from the mixer goes to Input A and Input B on the Behringer and I have channel A setup to feed outputs 1 2 3 and channel B to feed outputs 4 5 6. I have an Amp that drives speakers hooked up to output 1 , an Amp that drives speakers to output 2 and Amp that drives the sub to output 4.

What I need to know is how to set up the frequency levels for the speakers and the sub correctly using the correct frequency KHZ levels and setup the limiter on the behringer.

Hope what I said makes sense.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Best regards.

Marlon.

The 'frequency levels' ie crossover frequency is set up just like any other. Once you've selected the correct routing option (with reference to the graphics on the screen showing inputs and outputs connected by drawn wires) you can select the crossover characteristic (eg Butterworth, linkwitz-Riley, Bessel..meant to emulate hardwired crossovers) and then the frequency. See manufacturer of speakers for recommended value, a good place to start with say 18in bass and 12in tops might be 120Hz but it really isnt set in stone. With multiple crossover points the berry gives you the option of 'naming' the types of speaker it's driving, for example mid-high-left, right low, etc which makes it easier when navigating pages. Dont fall into the trap of thinking that simply naming the speakers correctly will make the output frequencies correct! You still have to choose those in the crossover section.

This should get the speakers sounding something like right, you may need to adjust the input and output gains to 'level-out' the sound to taste so the tops dont overpower the bass and vice-versa.

To prevent this problem you mentioned of DJ's turning everything up to 11 and threatening your precious speakers, first set the amps gains all up to full so they cant be turned up any more by fiddling fingers. Go into the limiter page, and turn it on (IN), it's set to off (OUT) by default. Set the release time to max (4secs or 4000ms) so it doesnt try to compress the signal but acts purely as system protection. Play music, and turn the mixer up gradually until the amps (or the first one in the rack) start to clip (you can unplug the speakers if that's too loud) and then select 'threshold' with the 'parameter' button. Wind the jog wheel down until the clipping amp(s) just stop clipping, then check that further increases in the mixer output don't cause the amp(s) to clip again. If they do, increase the ratio a little on the limiter. If the display shows the system is limiting despite the amps still flashing their clip lights, you may need to reduce the output gains of the appropriate channels first rather than increase the amount of limiting (ie lowering the threshold or increasing the limiter gain).

The limiter is a global one and acts on reducing input gain, so check the amps across the various types of music the system is likely to play so it doesnt let certain frequencies through the crossover section at too high a level for one amp or another.

Of course, you might want to set the limiter threshold so gain reduction occurs well, well below clipping, so that you give the amps an easy ride....you can't rely on DJ's to!

Remember the release time set to max otherwise you'll be making an effective compressor which when operating in the GR region will more than likely stress the system more rather than less.

The berry provides 2 bargraph displays on the limiter page to show the level of threshold compared to GR at any one time. And of course the red warning LEDs on the output level meters will light if the berry is doing its job and limiting the outputs due to the threshold being exceeded by some recalcitrant (formula sound's phrase) DJ.

I also believe you can attenuate the outputs on a DJM800 with a screwdriver, it might be worth a look

You can, but this is not the same as applying a limiter. Attenuating the mixer output will still allow the DJ to turn it up again at the channel gains, there has to be room for him to do this to compensate for quietly recorded tracks. Now respect where due, but most DJs will turn everything up as far as it will go, including master, channel faders and gains, then if that's not loud enough, will turn all the EQ's up as well to get a bit more gain. When they've done that, they'll go into the amp rack and turn everything up on there too. Some DJ's (I know from experience) will also attempt to hot-wire the limiter if there's enough light to see behind there. You've been warned.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I have set up the Behringer to LHLHLH and connected the sub to output 1 and the speakers to output 2 and 4, entered the low frequency levels according to the JBL speakers frequency range and set the high frequency level at 100hz for the sub on BUT24 setting and 14khz for the speakers on BUT6 setting. Have set the limiters at 4000ms, with the music turned up from the mixer and the amplifiers clipping I started turning the Threshold and found the sweet spot of -22dB for the speakers and -22.5dB for the sub. Now the amplifiers does not clip no matter how hi the master on the mixer is. Even the music sounds so much better now with much less distortion.

I`m very happy now knowing that the Djs won`t damage my speakers.

Thanks again, I appreciate all your help.

Best Regards.

Marlon

connected the sub to output 1 and the speakers to output 2 and 4

You would be better to feed the SUM with A and B inputs and route the SUM to output 1. That way your sub/s will be getting a mono of both outputs of the mixer rather than just the Left.

Archived