uplighting people

plymbubba

I have been asked to look and ways of uplighting people which when I first thought of the some floor cans as the will be put behind a podium and the actor stood behind that however the problem is that heat given off by some lights is way too much and I am then worried about them passing out as they would be stood above the lights for some time.

So I have started to look down the led route but I need to find the best type to do the job I am hopeing that br members could give some guidance on this I would also need to hire these as buying is out of the question as I have been given the task to source something that is fairly cheap to hire and is cool enough for the actors to be stood by for long periods of time.

So what is the best led light to use? also need a company fairly local and within the south west

I have been asked to look and ways of uplighting people which when I first thought of the some floor cans as the will be put behind a podium and the actor stood behind that however the problem is that heat given off by some lights is way too much and I am then worried about them passing out as they would be stood above the lights for some time.

So I have started to look down the led route but I need to find the best type to do the job I am hopeing that br members could give some guidance on this I would also need to hire these as buying is out of the question as I have been given the task to source something that is fairly cheap to hire and is cool enough for the actors to be stood by for long periods of time.

So what is the best led light to use? also need a company fairly local and within the south west

I would say stage electrics may be your best bet though they only have the bristol depot now as plymouth closed ages ago and exeter nearly a year ago.

HTH

Lxtechman

As above.

Keep it LED. Its cool (of course) and it can also be 'plug and play', ie they can just be set up and left without the need for a controller or anything, unless you need it!!

What fixture depends on what use. If its for one actor standing behind a plinth etc then just a LED PAR (whatever make) will do the job. They are mostly pretty narrow beam angle anyway, so will make a nice single uplighter special.

If its for a row of people, then batterns will be better. Again, the type depends mostly on your budget.

Hope this helps

Most LED, without an amber or white channel and even with, does not look good on skin tones.

Which makes me think Hmm... you can now get white only (even warm white) LED fixtures, so there must be a suitable filter to correct to something similar to halogen... then add tint or colour of choice!

Hi

+1 for StageBar.

If you don't need white then I'd also suggest a ColorBlaze48 batten. Easy to set up and gives a very even dispersal. It's extremely bright, too.

I'd avoid using a bunch of LED cans as they tend to give a very uneven colour mix as the throws are narrow and none of their drivers will be calibrated.

All the best

Timmeh

Most LED, without an amber or white channel and even with, does not look good on skin tones.

Which makes me think Hmm... you can now get white only (even warm white) LED fixtures, so there must be a suitable filter to correct to something similar to halogen... then add tint or colour of choice!

Not how it works unfortunately, Spectral Power Distribution, amount of light of each wavelength emiited is not a flat line:

Cool White LED

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/eighth/l15waw5.gif

Warm White LED

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/eighth/10mmww.gif

From www.ledmuseum.org

Comparative Spectrum

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/lightandcolor/images/lightsourcesfigure3.jpg

From http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/lightan...urcesintro.html

Can only filter out unwanted colours, as you can see white LED is pretty deficient in some already....

Archived