XFactor bootcamp lighting desk.

Munro

Just watched Xtra Factor from 26.09.09

Holly does a tour of backstage and at one point she speaks to the lighting op with his Lighting Desk.

Did anyone else see it? Any ideas what desk it was? It had a big screen poss touch on the right hand side.

Just wondered.

Cheers guys

Compulite vector green.

Jon

A very poor piece of equipment. Prone to crashing with no decent tech support in the UK. Avoid if possible.

Has a very loyal following amongst a few in television land who grew up with the compulite range.

LX Dad

TV has alot because Richard Martin Lighting own 3 blue's and they supply an awful lot of TV shows. Not to mention alot of TV LDs own Blues and Greens. I know a guy who has 3 greens alone. They work very well with Hippo and Catalyst and the effects engine has won lots of awards - so hence programming is very quick and simple.

Also - Pedant Alert - only the Flying Pig Systems range of consoles have the 'Effects Engine '. They registered it as a trademark when they first introduced it into the consoles, so they have exclusive use of this term. Others may have effects generators etc, but Efects Engine they do not.

TV has alot because Richard Martin Lighting own 3 blue's and they supply an awful lot of TV shows. Not to mention alot of TV LDs own Blues and Greens. I know a guy who has 3 greens alone. They work very well with Hippo and Catalyst and the effects engine has won lots of awards - so hence programming is very quick and simple.

So in summary, it's a desk for TV land and not for those of us living in the real world?

So in summary, it's a desk for TV land and not for those of us living in the real world?
IIRC, they're rather popular for RnR & Theatre touring over in the USA.. and in general, they seem to get a fair bit of use in those fields around the world. Perhaps its just that they don't have as higher 'jo public/lampy' profile as other manufacturers do?

There's a few examples of them in use (bit of a mix) here >> Link and here >> Link 2 and I know WWE have a pair as they're touring desks. Seems like its the processing power (in this age of high channel counts per fixture from LED gear) that people like them for.

And Joe.. yes.. I too would be interested to know what awards the vector effects generator has won. Don't hear about that happening too often!

T

Guest lightnix

I've never had any experience of Compulite gear myself. Rightly or wrongly, they've enjoyed a bit of a "cheap 'n' cheerful" reputation over the years and while this may have been apt in the early days; they've shown a remarkable resilience and kept on plugging away at it. They may not be to everyone's taste, but they must be doing *something* right, to have kept going this long IMO.

...Pedant Alert - only the Flying Pig Systems range of consoles have the 'Effects Engine '. They registered it as a trademark when they first introduced it into the consoles...

Further pedant alert: If it's only a ™, then it's not a registered trademark - that's an ® :D

A ™ is the legal equivalent of a "keep off the grass" sign - a warning to all, that you consider a certain name / phrase to be your intellectual property. It's mostly used to cover situations where...

• Someone can't afford / doesn't want to spend the money on an ®
  • The name / phrase you wish to register, is something that cannot be given an ® - like a colloquialism or letter of the alphabet

IIRC Nestle once tried to put an ® on "Have a break..." in relation to Kit-Kat bars, but were told they couldn't. McDonalds got away with it, after successfully pleading that, it's not a letter "M", it's a pair of golden arches.

Which it most obviously is, of course ;)

More about trademarks...

Sorry for going further OT.

Thanks for your replys ^

|

Oh dear. I seem to have set off a legal battle | sorry.

I'm wodering whether I should bother with my next question now? Here goes nothing. well a thread that a mod can delete anyway if it gets to rowdy.

Those of you that have used the vector range.

Truthfully how good are they? Would it be worth a red for 96 channels of dimming, 8 moving heads, 12 LED fixtures And a media server?

Thanks

Joe

Archived