glowing objects: luminous paint vs uv vs battery op light

JWP

I would be very glad to hear people's reccommendations about what to use to light up my fans!!

Doing a production of Lady Windamere's fan for a 6 month tour round large venues in italy, in which one fan needs to be seen glowing in the dark and another pulsing as per heartbeat.

Occasionally on previous tours with the lx support has been a little shakey so am hesitating to rely on a UV spot for the glow-in-the dark fan.

I would like to use a luminous paint with a clearly visible, but not glaring white or apricot finish.

can anyone reccommend a brand or a technique?

Also any advice welcomed on the subject of pulsing fans - I thought maybe try and find small fibre-optic strands on a battery and sew them into the fan but if anything springs to mind I'd love to hear....

Many thanks

JWP

I would be very glad to hear people's reccommendations about what to use to light up my fans!!

Also any advice welcomed on the subject of pulsing fans - I thought maybe try and find small fibre-optic strands on a battery and sew them into the fan but if anything springs to mind I'd love to hear....

Many thanks

JWP

How about electroluminescent wire? Would look good in the dark. You can get battery powered supplies which will flash the wire.

Electroluminescent wire is certainly worth considering as posted above.

I dont think that glow in dark paint is going to be bright enough, unless the rest of the stage is in total blackout, and even then I believe it would be marginal.

Flourescent pigments excited by a UV light source can be effective.

The options are a narrow beam UV spot, which as you point out may mean undue reliance on others, or a wide non directional UV flood.

A flood can be very simply and cheaply achieved by a few blacklight flourescent lamps in standard fixtures, cheap and reliable but can have the drawback of unwanted floursecense elswhere on stage.

for the glowing fan, how about glow sticks.... ?

http://www.glow-sticks.org/100-Pack-of-8-I...-Bracelets.html

Could you just stick them onto the blades of the fan somehow ?

Hope this helps,

Dave

The people behind the El-Wire have an El-panel, it comes on A4 size and can be cut and glued, also it runs on Batteries:

http://www.surelight.com/el_panels.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Archived