Le Grande Macabre

steve h

Never mind U2...look at what the ENO are doing!

link!

4.48 on the 3rd video is superb! (although all of it is pretty special!)

Steve

I saw a different ENO production of La Grande Macabre at the Coliseum in the early eighties - very different production design then, but equally spectacular. Act 1 was set on the A4 Hammersmith flyover - four lanes of "motorway" with three-storey houses on one side and a double decker bus complete with telescope on the other. Act 2 was completely different....enormous palace gates, in front of which were some stone sphinx-like sculptures perhaps twice the height of a person, one of which had a rocking horse action and was ridden by the king or prince or whoever....

It was the first opera I went to, (apart from G&S), and it definitely left it's mark!

(I've since been in the Coliseum backstage and under the stage on many occasions, and still haven't really worked out where they put Act 1 when Act 2 was on stage)

(oh and the motorway had a full size hearse on it which played a significant part in the proceedings)

Archived