Worst thing caused by bass vibration you've ever seen....

ChazHS

Today I've been messing around with my subs a bit, came down from upstairs where I've been tinkering to find dust EVERYWHERE, 6 downlighters out of the ceiling, and a clock from a mantlepiece on the floor in bits!

Anyone experienced anything similar? Or worse?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With some assistance from 8 funktion one 218s I broke the lighting desk op's pint glass. I had told him it was wandering off the table between us. The silly thing was we were the only people in the venue trusted with glass, the punters all had to have plastic.

We also upset the SU trophy shelf; things fell over, wobbled around, fell off the shelf and jammed themselves in the small gap between shelf and door. They blu-tacked the trophies down after that night :rolleyes:

When I was a child I'd taken delivery of a new Elka organ and whilst trying out the bass pedals, vibrated my mum's Beswick horse off a shelf in the next room whenupon it smashed. It had been a 21st birthday present so I was in the doghouse.

That reminds me, I once had some centre fills sat atop a centre sub cluster and every time I looked out front (it was a DJ gig, so I setup sidestage to save running snakes, taking up space foh, etc) my centre fills were pointed sideways instead of out into the crowd.

I thought who the **** keeps moving my fills. Worked it out in the end and made a mental note to use a different strapping method next time

Two stories, neither first hand.

One was Richard Court, who allegedly had cracked the concrete of the building Court Acoustics occupied, by replaying a track of a Chieften tank firing a round, at something like the correct SPL.

The second was the sound engineer from The Prodigy, who, when the Prodj were becoming headline quality, had a goal of damaging every building in which they played. EAW rig IIRC. At the first soundcheck, plaster fell from the ceiling...

There's always the Leftfield gigs of the 90s, one particularly infamous performance where I believe they were banned from brixton academy for bringing plaster off the ceiling on top of the crowd.

The furthest I've ever got is setting off loads of car alarms in a nearby car park with 8x thunder-ridge sb1000s.

T in the Park 2009 - we vibrated the lampy's strobe off the stage, so he gaffa taped it down and we vibrated the gaffa tape off it! 4 x Funktion-One F121 subs.

Private function in an old barn - 6 x F121s and The Audio Bullies as headliners - we shook so much bird crap off the barn ceiling it took 2 weeks to clean the system!

Ball for St Andrews Uni - set off every car alarm in the centre of town during sound check - 12 x F121s powered by 3 x E90 amps!

More recently, I had plaster coming off the garage ceiling thanks to a pair of OHM BR15S cabs that I was setting up with a customer. Needless to say its a detached house.

A DJ customer of mine recently, unwittingly, fitted the wrong drivers to his OHM MR228 mid-high cabs and accidentally changed them to 4 ohms. Running them as he always had done, at the same venue he'd worked for years, but with the new drivers (louder, obviously) one of them vibrated off a shelf and hit a client across the back of the neck.

Luckily his client saw the funny side and I got the job of fitting correct drivers.

[quote name='dbuckley' date='12 Sep 2009, 5:52 AM' post='310628'areThe second was the sound engineer from The Prodigy, who, when the Prodj were becoming headline quality, had a goal of damaging every building in which they played. EAW rig IIRC. At the first soundcheck, plaster fell from the ceiling...

I was told that they (prodigy) are banned from ever performing at De Montfort Hall, Leicester when I worked there 8 years ago....

<<One was Richard Court, who allegedly had cracked the concrete of the building Court Acoustics occupied, by replaying a track of a Chieften tank firing a round, at something like the correct SPL.>>

DB, your memory is failing, it was Stephen Court.

He often used that demo track to good effect. I doubt the concrete story, but I well remember some disintegrating ceiling tiles at a demo. However, I also remember somebody having made a few preliminary "adjustments" to encourage them to collapse at the crucial moment...

Archived