Firefox and the spell checker

paulears

In another topic, somebody mentioned that firefox doesn't seem to spell check any longer. I just realised mine doesn't - yet the option is turned on in tools? Does anyone else have a non-functioning spell checker? I'll investigate a bit shortly, but the other topic just reminded me?

EDIT

I just discovered when you did one of the last updates, it loses the dictionary. To fix it, you just type something like this, then right click - select languages and add dictionary. It gives you a language choice, downloads it, then restarts firefox, and it works. Oddly, it identifies firefox as an error, (Firefox too) which is rather funny!

I think there is a bug in the latest versions. It works inconsistently but can still let through a number of errors. I try to click the spell checker toolbar tick before posting but having been used to it being 100% reliable (unlike the grey matter that seems to be turning to mush by the day :) ) I frequently forget.

That said, there is a a known problem where the dictionary disappears after an upgrade. See Ghacks

You can also force Firefox to check single line input fields: Go to about:config and change layout.spellcheckDefault to 2

My Firefox does recognise "Firefox" with a capital letter. Thanks for the tip about the British Dictionary as well.

Archived