Battery Powered Fuzz Lights

Dave Cook

If you mean a beacon consisting of a fixed lamp and a rotating mirror, under a transparent coloured dome, these are readily available from vehicle parts/spares suppliers.

As widely used on police vehicles, breakdown trucks etc.

They are designed for vehicle use on about 12/14 volts DC, the current required is substantial at about 5 amps.

Mains voltage versions are also available, from disco suppliers and the like, be certain to get the right sort.

If the current consumption is a problem, RS components sell similar looking beacons that use Xenon flashtube instead of an incandescent lamp, these use far less current.

If you mean a beacon consisting of a fixed lamp and a rotating mirror, under a transparent coloured dome, these are readily available from vehicle parts/spares suppliers.

As widely used on police vehicles, breakdown trucks etc.

They are designed for vehicle use on about 12/14 volts DC, the current required is substantial at about 5 amps.

Mains voltage versions are also available, from disco suppliers and the like, be certain to get the right sort.

If the current consumption is a problem, RS components sell similar looking beacons that use Xenon flashtube instead of an incandescent lamp, these use far less current.

Adam, thanks. I'm not sure you've completely understood my question; perhaps I should have been more specific:

I need a 'police style' light (we usually refer to them as 'Fuzz' lights) set on an exhibition stand at a trade show. I have no mains power to the stand nor am I able to hide a car battery in the installation, so an inverter and car battery are not an option.

The very smallest fuzz light is 25 watts, so even if a battery powered unit was made the unit would only run half an hour on a set of batteries, so I fear you're wasting your energy looking for such a thing, only a LED flashing beacon might come close.

Archived