The LED Fresnel Shootout

Brian

In fairness to Elation, the photometric data for the unit is available on their website here.

They show 1640 Lux at 2m when set to 1.75m diameter. I have no reason to doubt that they measured that figure. What is missing is the exact conditions measurements were made under. And in this they are not alone. It's only on higher end units that meaningful photometrics are available.

It is just unfortunate that LED products are so often sold with deceptive advertising, like comparing a LED with a halogen through a congo blue filter, or comparing with a Patt 45 with a T1, technically true but highly deceptive and I really get annoyed when one of my clients is ripped off buying a load of LED cans as a "green" way to light their stage in 3 million colours, and they spend 2 years budget on disco junk.I am not anti LED but I get seriously furious at the dubious sales techniques assosciated with anything "LED"

• 1 month later...

I apologise for resurecting a dormant thread, but I picked up an Elation brochure at PLASA and found their ELED Fresnel still advertised as being 500W equivalent, but noticed that they also have an LED Blinder, which says it "replaces all conventional bllinders". Now I'm sorry but 48 x 1W LEDs are not equivalent to a 3,800W 12-circuit Molefay! Interestingly the fresnel is white LED only whereas the blinder is RGB (seems less blinding that way, to me!).

They really need to do something about their "misleading advertising"!

• 2 months later...
Another apology for thread necromancy, but I just came across this link. The Taiwanese manufacturer (Epistar) claims 110l/W and a colour temperature of 3000k, which would put the output of a 100W LED lantern fairly close to a 500W T25. It could need a significant amount of cooling which would increase the power consumption and make for quite a noisy lantern.

An excellent post, answering many of my questions about this product, which I had spotted and wondered about.

Some observations, really for the manufacturer, or a potential manufacturer:

1)I do wonder if a PC lens might suit the light source better

2) Would the LED's be better configured pointing backwards in a circular array into a textured reflector? this would remove the odd patterning.

3) Would be worth supplying a removable colour correction disc to slot in behind the lens for use when using alongside conventional fixtures. or perhaps like Martin add a few orange LED's to balance out the colour temperature, though this would make for more control channels.

Other than this, and the noise issue of the fan, the unit looks like a good idea for some applications. It would be far more efficient for gel consumption - though one would have to almost re-learn the colour selections for the difference in colour temperature. It would also be very power efficient and kinder to the fingertips in focusing and recolouring when on. I'm sure this points the way to the fixture of the future, but there's still a way to go in the design process, and unless they are silent a lot of small theatre venues who might well consider it as way to save money will be put off.

1)I do wonder if a PC lens might suit the light source better

2) Would the LED's be better configured pointing backwards in a circular array into a textured reflector? this would remove the odd patterning.

3) Would be worth supplying a removable colour correction disc to slot in behind the lens for use when using alongside conventional fixtures. or perhaps like Martin add a few orange LED's to balance out the colour temperature, though this would make for more control channels.

1. LDR or LDDE have a PC lens one with Lamina LED array , price is much more in Pixelpar land though.

2. Power density means more power = bigger array , refelector runs out of space, is lossy and possibly of limited effect.

3. Aint really got that much power to start with, and its Correlated Colour Temp which means output isn`t flat, correction is a subtractive, amber LED is least efficient colour so need to make space in array for them, see above about power density

Robert Juliat are working on an LED profile, there is a thread about it on the Lightnetwork, watch out for the elephant ;-)

http://www.lightnetwork.com/messages.php?msg=28804.1

• 11 months later...

I found this topic today and as we have a new LED Studiofresnel light I want to give you short technical informations:

The SquareLED Authentic 200 is the first LED studio fresnel

spotlight with similar power like a 800 W halogen luminaire.

It is available in two different color temperatures: First

with 3200 k similar to halogen spotlights and second with

5600 k similar to daylight spotlights.

Technical Data:

»» 200W LED module - available with 3200K and 5600K

»» Power like a 800 W Halogen luminaire

»» Beam angle: 10° - 60°

»» Neutrik Connectors

»» Temperature regulated

»» Square dimming curve

»» 38,2 dbA

»» Incl. 4-leaf barndoor

»» DMX 512

If anybody is interested in more details, just let me know. Have a nice day!

Looks like an interesting product - you didn't post a link, but I assume it's this one.

http://www.ziogiorgio.de/images/2009/lth/Authentic.jpg

If you'd like to post a direct link so members can examine the specs, please do, as it relates to this topic.

Archived