celestion SR compact short cicuit

PLAZA / Grahame

Hello all

I have just perchased four Celestion SR compact speakers on a well known auction site.

General condition is very good, but on testing them I found that one produced that well kown knackered speaker type of rattle sound while testing it.

At that point I noticed the test amp an old Crown D60 was starting to get rather hot (good job I was leaning on it)

:) Made a grab for the off switch , luckly saved the amp before melt down.

So out came the AVO to test the speaker resistance (almost a total short cicuit! :huh: ) a rare event for a speaker to fail like this.

I have googled trying to find a replacement driver with no luck, I have also mailed celestion ,and awaiting a responce.

So if anyone knows where I can get a replacement Driver from please tell.

... a rare event for a speaker to fail like this....

Not really. Whilst gross overload will usually cause the voice coil to go open circuit; long term over-driving will cause the voice coil to heat up excessively. The coil then distorts and starts rubbing against the magnet wearing away the enamel insulation and leading to a short. It's also possible for the heat alone to melt the enamel.

where to get replacement drivers from please post here!

Around 4 years ago I phoned Celestion and got replacement driver for a client using my Company Credit Card as payment.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a compact with a open circuit driver and so when you find out where to get replacement drivers from please post here!

Thanks.

This is the response from Celestion, so it looks like the sr compacts may be scrap unles a good used driver can be found.

Dear Grahame,

I can confirm we do not have stock of the SR compact replacement 8ohm drivers. This is part of our old stock therefore we will never have any more stock available.

With regards to the SR1 drivers please see my below response:

SR1 16ohm driver T4582/P

SR1 8ohm driver T4579/P

Both drivers cost £137.69 ex VAT, plus a £10 carriage fee.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,I have a brand new sr compact driver still in the box

I bought it in error thinking it was the same as my SR 1's and 3's

Not sure on forum rules about selling stuff,I'll have a look through them

and if any of you guys want it you can have it at a good price.

• 1 month later...

Archived