Life of cheap LED pars

J Pearce

Hello,

I have used many of the eurolight LED PAR 64's and have had a lot on 'dead' LEDs on them of the first year... I seem to rember that these where mainly one colour, and was belived to be a batch issue with the LEDs them selfs. All sorted out with the supplyer, and the odd LED out doesnt really effect the light output, but certainly not safe to assume LED = zero maintance!

Jack

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone suggest a good middle-range product ? - more expensive than the £100 Thomann stuff but cheaper than the £3000 for a Pixelpar - I need some (dont necessarily need to be PARs), but as it is for touring I'm concerned about their lifespan and build quality as much as the optics of them, so here seemed to be the best place to ask.

Now that LED cans have been around for a while and are really cheap, we're beginning to uncover the flaws of this kind of manufacture. As predicted, failure rate seems to be split - many failing within hours of switch on, and those that stay on, seem to have a decent enough lifespan. The problems are that these things are batch produced and so finding an identical replacement is pretty impossible - especially as the specs stay the same. A three year old, 5 attribute unit almost certainly will be different from the latest 5 attribute version, so colour matching at best will be poor, and at worst, unusual features spring to life at unexpected times as you hit a DMX value that now does something different.

I think I'm going to consider LED cans as a batch from now on. Buy extra, and be prepared to buy at least the same quantity when you need more. For what it's worth, my 16 are now 11+4+1 faulty A matching set of 11, 4 that are a small work together cluster, but are replacements and different to the others, and one currently dead being used for spares.

Guest lightnix

One big influence on the life of any LED product, is the ambient temperature. Nothing shortens the lives of LEDs, like temperatures that are too high - and that isn't really very high at all.

As a general rule of thumb: For every 10°C you go over 25°C, you will lose around half your "100,000 hour" LED life. LED cans mounted up in the air, will probably not last as long as those on the floor; an LED system installed in Lapland, will probably run longer than an "identical" one in Turkey - unless the latter has some decent aircon sorted.

Can anyone suggest a good middle-range product ? - more expensive than the £100 Thomann stuff but cheaper than the £3000 for a Pixelpar - I need some (dont necessarily need to be PARs), but as it is for touring I'm concerned about their lifespan and build quality as much as the optics of them, so here seemed to be the best place to ask.

Colorblock?

Archived