Output video to projector and keep desktop on LCD

Pitmatic

Hope this makes sense B-)

We have a Dell Laptop that secondary output goes to a projector and the primary display is its LCD now for a while for shows that required a bit of video they would run windows movie maker and the desktop would only appear on the LCD but the video you would play would appear fullscreen on the projector.

Now I have seen it do it I was not imaging it or was sniffing paint on the sets and go to set it up today for the show on monday and its stopped working my eyes almost did a comedy standing on stalks thing as I saw to my horror it no longer did it :** laughs out loud **:

Now the laptop had had some work done on it between times to get it to control the projector an epson emp s4 with emplink

Now I saw it do it could it be there was some software on it allowing this behaviour or should we be using some other software that could give us a nice black screen when no video is being projected and not suddenly pop back to windows.

selecting between outputs gives LCD only projector only and extended desktop only I cant seem to get desktop on both?

Hopefully someone will say you twit press ctrl+whatever and turn around three times and all will be dandy :)

Thanks in advance

Mark

IF you want to replicate the output exactly on both screens rather than having an extended desktop then right click and go to display settings. Once there ensure that that the 'extend my desktop' check box IS NOT checked. This will then give you a duplicate image on both outputs. If you want to watch a video on the projector and work on the laptop then you need it checked to give you an extended desktop. You then run your video and drag the window to the right off the screen and it will magically appear on the projector. double click the video and it will go to full screen on the projector output leaving you to do as you fancy on your lcd screen. Hope this helps/works!

Greg

Hi,

It is just as Greg has said above. Although one thing I would add that some laptops need the output (the projector in your case) to be display number 1 for it to display the video.

Hope it all goes well on monday!

Alex.

It is just as Greg has said above. Although one thing I would add that some laptops need the output (the projector in your case) to be display number 1 for it to display the video.

Try updating your graphics drivers.

All of the above is assuming you are running XP?

nVidia and ATi video chipsets often come with a feature that takes video displayed in a window on the primary screen - the laptop display, usually - to be shown fullscreen on the secondary screen. Call up the nVidia or Ati Control panel - usually just by right clicking on the desktop and selecting something with 'nVidia' or 'ATi' in the name! Then check out the different display modes available.

We use Media Shout for our presentation needs, but there is a wide range of software available which will allow you to script a presentation in advance.

If you are using an extended desktop, then simply set the desktop background to black, and make sure you don't put any icons on the secondary screen. That way, when you do drop back to the desktop, it displays plain black.

Try updating your graphics drivers.

All of the above is assuming you are running XP?

He said he has a Dell laptop. Updating your graphics drivers isn't the easiest option as in my experience, Dell don't like releasing graphics drivers for their laptops (I was stuck with 3 year old drivers on my old laptop and kept being told by support that they worked fine....).

Alex222 and gherriotts methods should work though. If you go via a ati / nvidia control panel method, it might be called 'clone' view.

He said he has a Dell laptop. Updating your graphics drivers isn't the easiest option as in my experience, Dell don't like releasing graphics drivers for their laptops (I was stuck with 3 year old drivers on my old laptop and kept being told by support that they worked fine....).

If you have ATI graphics and cannot get up-to-date drivers from the laptop manufacturer, it might be worth seeing if your graphics are supported by the Mobility Modder .

This allows you to download the latest desktop drivers and modify them so they install on a laptop...

If you have Nvidia, they have made the more recent drivers available for direct download Go 7, 8M and 9M

Go 7, 8M and 9M

Thanks for the responses guys

The onboard video is an ati 1150 radeon and the control panel feature to clone the video output to the projector was not there (methinks a dell feature...)

I tried to update the driver but the dell configuration would not allow it (I think I needed to be an admin user to do it) anyway I downloaded the control panel on its own and gained the ati systray which allowed me to clone the vieo to the secondary monitor output making sure its set to preserve aspect ratio I think or you video gets squashed :)

As advised above I set the desktop background to black and transitions between video are now seamless :P as long as you dont fiddle the mouse onto the other screen so it appears on stage :P

Phew! the only fly in the ointment is the lighting bar cradle which is supposed to arrive by courier tomorrow if its not here by lunch time some creative metalwork will have to whipped up in the workshop B-)

thanks for the support guys

Archived