Jump to content

starting qualifications

Recommended Posts

With so many H&S bodies out there, NEBOSH, IOSH, CIEH, BSC. Which do you go for, Ultimately for general H&S I have been told NEBOSH (price) so if you are getting started which way do you go, CIEH is cheap but does it really mean anything. Has anyone out there been through this, just looking for a little advice, eventually (2years) I will be aiming for NEBOSH gen/dip when money is more freely available but for now I need to make the right move. Any ideas or advice..



Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're working for an employer, and they are going to pay for whatever they want you to have, go with that one. If you are paying for it out of your own pocket, I'd ask if getting the qualification is essential? As you say, there are loads of people offering training courses - BUT they are not really qualifications. In many cases, when issued by an approved Government body, they perhaps should be described as certification. You get a certificate to say you attended and me a certain standard. The trouble is almost anyone can offer certification and all it really says is that you demonstrated a level of competence. Bear in mind that many of these courses print your certificate before you even attend, and just hand them out at the end of the day/week. A qualification implies that some kind of recognised standard has been achieved. As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing as a qualification in general health and safety. To put this into perspective, look at the First Aid at Work courses run across the country. These, when run by St John, Red Cross and the local heath authorities are not 'real' qualifications, but recognised certificated courses. The people running them are experienced, accepted bodies with a solid reputation, following agreed guidelines, updated regularly. As it is not a proper qualification, if a course following the same ground rules was conducted by a doctor, in his own surgery and he gave attendees a certificate with First Aid at Work Course, ABC Surgery, Anytown - it would be just as valid, and useful. NEBOSH, IOSH, CIEH and many others run courses. None can be really compared against each other - they all have their own perspective on the content.


Many companies send their staff on a paid course, then this person delivers the 'information gained' to their colleagues, for free. This isn't a new trick, it's bee done for ages.


I reckon before you do anything, you need to work out what exactly you have 'missing', skills or knowledge wise. Then you can work out what courses make sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Become an "Employee Safety Representative" then under "The Saftey Representatives and Safety Committees Regulations 1977" (for employers with recognised trade unions) or "The Health and Safety (Consultation with Employees) Regulations 1996" the employer should pay for reasonable training.


see quote below from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg232.pdf


"What help and training must health and safety representatives receive?


Appointed representatives

Employers must give appointed safety representatives the paid time necessary

to carry out their functions, and paid time as is necessary to undergo training

in those functions, as is reasonable in the circumstances. The TUC or the trade

union concerned will offer training to trade union health and safety representatives

and usually meet the costs.


Elected representatives

Employers must:

■ ensure that elected representatives receive the training they need to carry out

their roles, as is reasonable in the circumstances, and pay any reasonable

costs to do with that training, including travel and subsistence costs;

■ give them paid time necessary to carry out their functions; and

■ allow candidates reasonable time with pay to carry out their functions as a

candidate in an election."

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.