dodgy shutter on robe scanner

jason5d

one of our robe djscan xt's is on the bench

with a dodgy shutter, I figured it would be the motor

but as it's under the lamp, I thought it would

be wise to get advice.

It opens to half way nice and quick when switching the test on and off.

If you manually push it to fully open it closes to half way

the shutter is hard to move unless it's off, unlike the colour and gobo wheels which move easily.

any ideas?

You mustn't operate it by hand with the power on at all or else it will lose its place. The motor turns to a predefined endstop at power-up (the clanking noise) and all positions after this are referenced to this initial position.

The motor will always be stiff with power on because that's how stepper motors work.

If it's stiff with power off then the motor needs cleaning or changing. If it's loose with power off then you'll need to investigate why it's not operating fully, (it should go from fully closed to fully open under test mode) so think of things like poor drive or weak magnetism.

But these are pretty basic rules for repairing any intelligent scanner, they're a complicated thing y'know!

kinda know all that, the moving the motor when it's on and off is a good

way to discount the motor, after all a simple reset will sort the positioning.

I think there's a sensor underneath

that might not be working properly.

I've got the exact same problem. I think I'll say that with mine, the motor is 'half-dead' - It moves to closed position when powered and will move for a while but then the motor only sticks to a small degree of turning, so the outputisn't completely B/O. So, I'm going to change it.

One thing with the DJScan 250XT is the shutter blade itself - it's terribly made. It's very flimsy when hot and eventually gets 'gashed' away by the stopper wall after long periods of strobe use in the fixtures life. So maybe check that it's not catching when snapping from open to close.

One thing with the DJScan 250XT is the shutter blade itself - it's terribly made. It's very flimsy when hot and eventually gets 'gashed' away by the stopper wall after long periods of strobe use in the fixtures life. So maybe check that it's not catching when snapping from open to close.

When the light is on but not in use to 'leave' them with the shutter open or closed? Leaving them open might help avoid the heating of the shutter blades.

Archived