Can you convert regular par cans to LED???

minitechy

I have a load of cans which need the lamp holder replacing and thought that this would be a great time to make the move to LED's.

Is there a cost effective way of converting these to LED cans or are they ready for the light rig in the sky.

Almost all input welcomed :)

Elliot

I'm unaware of anyone selling retro/upfit kits to convert a conventional Par CAN to an LED CAN.

Since you can already get (new) LED units for <£100 and the majority of the cost isn't the CAN ... I'd be surprised if there was a market.

You could it yourself but the time and effort to design and manufacture the board would be prohibitive unless you could consider the time as "fun".

Even then there are few establishments / insurance companies that would be content for you to use a 'home made' unit.

Short answer = "No".

Edit: Beaten by Bryson!

Can`t find the US ebay link offhand , but given that shipping from the far East is by volume rather than weight, yes someone has done retrofit `kits`. Circular board with sveral no name 1W LEDs control card and trafo, cable tie it together yourself....

Not really worth it , your the manufacturer in this case with the liabilities that come with it.

Yes, you can convert a standard par to LED, the question is if you'd really want to. Like Ekij mentioned, to mimic most LED PARs in production, you would have to build the new fit yourself which will become a very time consuming process. It would require a fair amount of knowledge of circuitry to build an LED circuit board with on-board DMX and accurate RGB color mixing. If converting is a must, the best option would be to install a new socket that fits an LED light source and appropriate transformer if needed. You would only be able to get one color per PAR though.

-Jeff

Interesting counter-thought:

Maybe, rather than view it purely as a means to reuse an old light, if you viewed it as a way of teaching yourself about some electronics and practical building skills, while getting something useful out the other end, then it might be worth a shot?

http://www.bigclive.com/ might be an interesting place to start researching how to go about it... You could probably use one of those projects as a starting point and then work out how to mount it into a Can.

What is wrong with building something yourself and using it? How come every time someone mentions home made, there is an uproar. Why is everyone so dead set against the UK where talent does actually still exist in favor for something that has rattled the whole way from China with sometimes no sign of earth and a L-N reversal or worse?

In my time, I have built rope lights, light boxes, lights, controllers, amps, mixers and every flightcase I own (over 100). I have wired every lead I own (about 4Km). I have built entire radio studios from block work to sound absorbtion. I have built just about every studio in BBC Northern Ireland.

If you want to build something, go for it and enjoy. Just do it safely.

Rant over

Though a valid point, my impression was that it's not a question if home made lights are a good idea, it's a question of if building LED PARs will fit the OP's needs. He simply questioned if there are retro-fit kits available for conventional PARs. That seems to imply that he would rather buy and not build.

-Jeff

When it was time to replace the old P123's and 23's, I took a few home, gave then a good clean and respray and converted the lamp house to accom "birdie lamps" and small domestic lamps. Screw them into the ceiling with the cable recessed.!! very cool

As mentioned , yes I think there coould be kits allbeit from overseas , but it not worth the bother. Just buy brand new LED cans!

You could use the dead PAR cans for novelty plant pots in the garden! - complete with water drainage slots!! :)

Archived